Front Lines, Part Two
by Raistlann, Jan 1999

June 1

We arrived at Babylon 5 early this morning, unannounced. For a moment, I thought the Earthers would be foolish enough to fire on *us*, but after the momentary threat, they apologized and offered to help any way they could.

Before today, I had not been on or seen Babylon 5. It wasn't what I expected, since many are calling it the home of peace. From the outside, maybe, but as soon as you get past all the shine and sparkle, you see what it really is: a group of tired, war-weary humans and Minbari and other aliens, strung out to the end of their recourses just staying alive. It is times like this that I most appreciate the relative freedom of movement a starship can offer.

I also met ambassador Delenn for the first time. I, unlike Alyt Jaelyn, do not think that her change in appearance makes her a freak, just... interesting. The hair does a lot for her complexion, but I prefer normal Minbari women to the haired version she is. It smells nice, though. Her hair, I mean. Like fruit left to dry in the sun. Her aide is infatuated with her, and she doesn't even notice. I pity him.

I was told that repairs would take three days to a week, but that's better than being in space dock for weeks on end. There seems to be a great many Anla'shok about. Maybe their Entil'Zha is here. Maybe it's just me being paranoid. The Shiven is mine now, but I feel no different. I am not treated much different, but I do have a much larger room now. I am also entitled to an aide, but I haven't found one that meets my requirements. The Shiven seems to have more problems than I had originally thought, and it seems that we were lucky to make it to Babylon 5 before the engines gave out or went critical.

Captain Sheridan Starkiller gave us a suprisingly warm welcome. He invited me and my aide (I don't have one, I told him) to dinner with him and ambassador Delenn. He doesn't seem much like the honorless, murdering coward I thought he was. I am glad I joined his side against the coming dark. Maybe we will have a chance to make it through all this mess..

June 8

I have finally found my aide. He used to serve on the Ingata, but neither he or his Shai Alyt seem to mind the transfer. His name is Raistlann, of the Wind Swords. There is a fire in him, like many of his clan, but it burns a different path than many. I am not sure yet what it means, but he has great promise.

We leave tomorrow with the warcruisers Vartha and Devana for the front lines. I pray we survive.

June 10

Raistlann is proving to be invaluable to me. I have more time to attend to my ship and crew now that he has taken over sorting out all my newly acquired files and information. It is odd.. he rarely speaks, but manages to convey his requests and demands with gestures and movements and his lively dark eyes. I thought at first that he might be a telepath, but when I contacted his clan to find out, they said he wasn't. Apparently his father taught him how when he was still young. It is an interesting talent.

When we talk, over tea or dinner or what have you, he speaks of dreams and desires with a passion that I have never seen in a Wind Sword. He is not sure he belongs with us, or somewhere else; I know what he means even when he doesn't. If his calling is elsewhere, we will not stop him.

The Shadows have been silent. No reports of attacks, just the occasional sighting.

My crew is jumpy, nervous, and fights are now a common occurrence. We have a hard time keeping them from hurting eachother. Tempers run high. The Religious caste crew spend most of their free time praying, finding calm and solace in their own way. It does not help the warriors, or me.

Raistlann and Jaelyn think that the Shadows are deliberately appearing and disappearing to make our small fleet confused, so that when they hit, we will fall easily. I try to stay more optimistic. The Vartha and Devana are having similar problems and fears on their own ships. It does not improve morale.

June 19

Nine days and still no sighting of the enemy. Tomorrow I will recommend that we leave.

On a somewhat lighter note, Alyt Jaelyn and Sannea have finally completed all of the courtship and marriage rituals, and are one. They seem quite happy despite the occasional harassment because Sannea is Religious. Perhaps she will settle him down,Valen knows he needs it.. Raistlann is still edgy, and the Religious caste still prays. A feeling of forboding has settled over all of us, and it is hard to ignore.

June 20

We have heard reports of an attack and we will investigate immediately. It is not far from our position, and we should be able to help. Alyt Jaelyn has asked for leave when we return to Minbar. I have granted his request.

The computer paused the text on the screen. "End text. Audio and visual segment."

Sinclair looked up from the display. "Well, let's hear it."

The screen blurred for a moment, then a middle aged Minbari appeared. behind him, crewmembers scrambled to put out an electrical fire. He wiped a trickle of blood from his eyes and focused on the screen.

"This is Shai Alyt Avann of the warcruiser Shiven. Our fleet has been crippled and we can't escape to hyperspace. The shadow vessels outnumber us atleast nine to one." The ship shuddered, and he stumbled but regained his balance.

"There is no hope for survival now. We managed to find out that they intend to take Jakon 8. I repeat, their next target is Jakon 8. If anyone receives this message, I just want it to be known that-" the screen fizzled momentarily.

"Shai Alyt, the Vartha has been destroyed...Devana is holding.." The great ship shook again. "Devana is gone.." The tech's voice was stricken with sorrow.

The Shai Alyt looked immensely tired. "Survivors?" "No."

He steeled himself. "The crew of the Shiven has served with honor and loyalty for fourteen years. If anyone receives this... remember us, and the Devana and Vartha."

The warcruser rocked again, and a console exploded in a shower of sparks. The screen fizzled again. "They took out our engines. Maneuvering thrusters only." The tech said, "Raistlann has made it to the jumpgate."

The Shai Alyt turned from the screen. "Good.." He looked around the bridge slowly.

"Throw everything we have into one last shot and set reactors to critical. If we die, we take them with us..."

The screen dissolved to static.

Slowly Sinclair turned from the console and focused his attention on the young warrior who stood alone near the door.

"You are Raistlann?"

The warrior studied the floor. "I am."

He looked at the screen again. "How many died that day?"

The warrior did not look up. "Too many."

"There would have been more deaths if they did not go?" He nodded, and was silent.

Sinclair watched him for a moment. "Why do you wish to join the Anla'shok?" he asked gently. The young warrior shifted from one foot to the other. "Avann knew my calling better than I did. It is where I belong."

Sinclair nodded, and picked up the data crystal he had brought. He handed it back to him, and the warrior bowed as if to a Satai, dark eyes filled with tears of pain and grief.

"And what of your clan, Raistlann of the Wind Swords?" He fingered the data crystal. "it is my heart's calling. What is, is."

Sinclair smiled faintly. "Then come. You have much work ahead of you."

 

finish.



back to minbari fanfic index | fanfic index