PART 3 - Tools of Darkness
by Sunraven, Mar 1999

Three hours later, Terra walked into the quarantine area where Sech Durhan was assigned a room.

"How are you doing, Sech Durhan?"

"I don't plan to go to the Sea until I am old, Doctor, at least 250 cycles or so. There are too many good denn-bok matches out there yet that I don't want to miss!"

Terra smiled, then examined Durhan. His skin was even more patchy than before, and he was losing color in his extremities.

"I have some medicine to give you that should help you feel better, Durhan."

Durhan looked at her and asked, "You have found the cure, Doctor?"

"No, not yet. But we've had a breakthrough, and we've been able to synthesize something that will help slow down the progress of the disease, we hope. The cure is coming, but we're not quite there yet. She took the syringe from its package.

Sech Durhan looked at the needle with genuine fear, and his face got even whiter. "Don't you have a skin tab, or something? I dislike needles!"

"Now Durhan, facing an enemy across a denn-bok has got to be more scary than this little needle. I know I would be absolutely terrified if I faced Satai Neroon over a denn-bok. Turn over now, and show me how brave a Starrider can be."

"You are an impudent young woman, and this was not how I envisioned our rendezvous was to be!" He didn't flinch as she gave him the shot, but she could sense how panicked he was, so she projected soothing emotions until it was over.

"People are going to be testing your blood with the scanner more often than before, and checking on you more. You will have to receive a shot like this at least two times a day, maybe more, depending on your response to it. I know it is a nuisance, Durhan." She patted his hand. "But at least it should keep you alive until we can get the cure for this thing."

"Thank you for your diligence, Dr. McClare, for me and all Minbari that are affected by this disease."

"I am happy to be of service." She left him and headed for the decontamination chamber before she went back to her research.

A team of Sarel's physicians found the answer to how the crucial enzyme was being affected. A piggy-back nanovirus was attaching itself to the 3,2 ceria-stronecenase, and changing the chemical structure enough so that it wasn't able to do its job of creating and replacing the peliocites in the iron corpuscles. Since the Minbari body normally replaced billions of these daily, the depletion of the reserves happened fairly quickly, causing a rapid decline in health, and finally death. Once the nanovirus was isolated, Terra was able to synthesize an antiviral nano-agent that was effective both as a cure and as a vaccination against the disease. All this took three more days, and once the current patients were vaccinated, their health bounced back with typical Minbari efficiency.

The day after the cure was synthesized Terra met with Neroon, Lenann, and Relinn in a conference room at the research command center. (Sech Durhan still was recuperating and Terra absolutely refused to allow him to attend. The explosive fight the two of them had had while discussing the issue of him going to the meeting had quickly become legendary among the Korunians). This meeting was specifically to discuss the issue of why this disease had so suddenly appeared.

"Dr. Sarel's people mapped the first incidents of the illness as starting around Chelann." Terra looked around the table. "You all know, gentlemen, that Chelann is the only place on this planet where other spacefaring races can land legally?" They all nodded. "Well, Satai Neroon, you will be gratified to know that the virus we found that was causing the disease was created using nanotechnology. Therefore, this disease was created, it didn't evolve naturally. And it was physically brought into the biosystem of Korun and placed into a water supply that Chelann uses as a secondary source of water. Whoever brought it in wanted a delay in the virus' effects, which is why it was put into the secondary water source, and not the primary one. Probably to cover a landing time, I should think. Korun has too well designed planetary defenses for most ships to land anywhere without triggering the notice of the warriors at the docking command and control center. What I think happened was someone landed at the docking center, did whatever open business they were here for, took care of the planting of the nanovirus, then left."

Neroon's anger dwarfed that of the other Minbari like a sun gone nova would dwarf a candle flame. "What we need to find out is who did this! And why, as well." He snarled.

Satai Relinn said, "The why, I think, is fairly easily understood, Satai Neroon. Korun has quickly become our largest cruiser-building world because of the large natural supply of elements here that are crucial in that industry. This plague disrupted the process of that industry. And whoever planted it could not have foreseen that we would be lucky enough to have an expert such as Doctor McClare at close call, nor that she could have discovered a cure so quickly. This, to me, seems like a clear effort to cripple Minbari preparations for the great war ahead of us."

Lenann turned back to Terra. "Doctor, were you able to learn anything about the creators of the virus when you were studying it?"

"It was extremely difficult, because the creators of it had programmed the nanovirus to self-destruct when exposed to common cell culture media. I finally managed to preserve a few of the viruses for study." She looked at the group at the table. These were some of the best of the best of the three castes, and all of them knew about the prophesy of the great war that was coming. "The virus was a form of organic technology, gentlemen, and not, I think, of Vorlon origin."

With Humans, the reaction to such an announcement would have been extremely noisy. With Minbari, the reaction was one of extreme quiet and thoughtfulness. The anger was there. Minbari hated biochemical warfare with an almost racial hatred. To them it was the basest of dishonorable actions, and whoever perpetuated it should be exterminated like annoying pests. But all of them were looking inward towards their next actions, and all of their tremendous energies were focused in that direction.

"I need to call Delenn and let her know about this." Lenann got up from the table. The rest of them followed suit, but no one left until Terra got them to promise to come back to the meeting place after the calls.

Lenann walked out with Terra.

"I am going to call Entil'Zha Sinclair and let him know what is going on."

"That is probably a good idea. He should be updated." She headed for a com vid.

"Jeffrey." The leader of the Anla'Shok was just as handsome as ever, but his face had a new serenity that had been lacking when he had been the Commander of Babylon 5. And a new and very nasty scar, as well.

"Terra. Thank you for taking such good care of my combat master."

"You're welcome, Jeffrey, but if you ever send an elderly Minbari into the middle of a plague that I am researching again, I will personally come to Tuscanor and use a scalpel to amputate your balls, do you understand me?" That got him laughing, and wincing at the thought as well.

"I guess I deserved that. And I see you haven't mellowed much since I was on Babylon 5. Not to find an excuse, but he insisted on going."

"Jeffrey, I don't believe that Entil'Zha Sinclair can't control his own masters."

"Of course I can, Terra. But I respect him too much not to let him follow his heart in this. He felt he had to go."

"Well, just remember my warning, okay?" She then told him about the origin of the virus. "I expect the Ingata will probably investigate the originators when we discover who they are. We could use your Anla'Shok to help, I think. "

"I wouldn't think Satai Neroon would be too happy about their presence, Terra."

"I'll take care of Satai Neroon. It is up to you, Jeffrey, but their special training would help in this mystery, I think."

"I agree with you, and surprisingly, so does Sech Durhan, who I talked to earlier. He requested to be able to go along on the pursuit, if he is well enough."

"That one will be fine in a few more days. Though I thought he was going to challenge me to Denn-sha earlier when I refused to let him come to our meeting today!"

Jeffrey laughed. "Trust you to irritate him so much that he has to get better quicker. Did you really call him an old goat?"

"Well, old satyr was what I really meant, but that would have involved too lengthy of an explanation."

He laughed again. "The Anla'shok are at your service for this mission, Terra."

"Actually, I'm not sure I'm going with the Ingata. I've really done my part, and I'm no warrior. I may be looking for a ride back to Babylon 5 pretty soon."

"They might need your services again, if they have some other type of virus around. You might want to reconsider. Well, Valen go with you, Terra, and behave yourself, and don't irritate too many Warrior Caste if you do travel with them."

She looked at him, blue-green eyes wide. "Who, me? Jeffrey, you know I'm the model of genteel Human and Minbari womanhood." Needless to say, she left him laughing at that as she signed off.

Once everyone was gathered around the table again, Neroon took charge of the meeting. What had been done at Korun had been an act of war as well as terrorism, and as such, now became his area of expertise.

"I believe we can make an investigation of the ships that have been to Korun over the last three weeks. I have requested that data, along with shipping contents, routes of travel, and origin points from the Command and Control personnel. Once we have a list of potential saboteurs, then we will investigate them and their ships more thoroughly." The expression in his brown eyes was one Terra had never seen in them before, not even when Ran had called her that nasty name. Chills went down her spine in reaction. It was a killer's eyes. Suddenly she was reminded of the thousands of Humans that he had slaughtered during the war, and her throat choked up with fear. Of Neroon.

As though sensing her discomfort, no, her fear of him, he glanced at her. The dead, angry expression mellowed into warmth, and he was suddenly the man she knew again. But what had happened, and her reaction to it, she put away for more contemplation later.

The meeting adjourned until the ship information could be delivered. Terra left the men and went to her lab to clean up her equipment and pack it away for travel again. As she was doing so, Satai Relinn came in.

"Terra, am I interrupting?"

"No, Relinn, I am just cleaning up my equipment and getting it ready to go back to Babylon 5."

The old Minbari looked at her with concern on his face. "At the meeting, when Neroon was speaking, your face lost color, and the globe turned its color to brown. I have never seen it turn that color before. You looked frightened to your last heartbeat. Would you like to talk about it?"

Terra looked down at the now colorless globe. "I didn't realize it changes colors with my moods."

"It probably doesn't do it when I am not present, also. The connection I have with the globe excites the color changing property, now that you have become bonded to it. It did the same with Sador, as well. And you are making a very nice attempt to change the subject."

The wise eyes looked into her soul. She slipped her arm around Relinn, and he hugged her. "In all the years I have known Satai Neroon, I have never seen that look of deadliness in his eyes that I saw at the meeting today. He has never shown me anything more than annoyance. Suddenly I saw a person that I did not recognize, one that frightened me silly. I looked into the cold calculating eyes of a killer."

"That is his nature. He is a warrior first and foremost. Why would it bother you to see his true face when it wasn't directed at you?"

"That is not his true face! At least not the one I have sensed."

"Terra, I don't understand why you are so upset. Neroon is what he is."

She took a deep breath. "Relinn, Neroon has expressed his interest in marriage to me."

The startled look on Relinn's face gratified Terra. The secret had been well kept.

"You. And Neroon? When has this happened?"

She told him everything. The whole long history of the rocky relationship. The older man was so startled he had to sit down on the couch.

"Terra, my sweet Human, the daughter of my heart, you and Neroon, no, no, it must not be!"

"Relinn, he is pushing me to answer him about agreeing to go through the formal rituals before marriage. I have told him I would only think about it, but he never was a very patient man, and he is used to having his own way. He can be very persuasive."

"When you came to me about your proposed marriage to Ledann, I was pleased for you. Ledann was a peaceful, gentle Minbari who would foster that calmness in your spirit as well. Since I was too old to seriously consider getting close to you myself, I was glad that you had found such a kind man to mate with. But Terra, your empathic gift is so delicately tuned and balanced, you need someone like Ledann, to help keep that balance. To mate with such an angry soul as Neroon, that would wreak havoc on your spirit in the long run." He looked at her with sad loving eyes. "Haven't you noticed how angry you have been while we have been on Korun? Is that how you want to be for the rest of your life?"

She couldn't say anything, because he spoke only the truth. She was angry a lot when she was with Neroon. And less than a week ago she had almost used her gift to kill a defenseless man for Neroon's sake. The stain on her soul from that would be there forever.

"Does it matter that I care deeply for him, Relinn? And that he loves me, and has since the peace talks?"

"Can you let it matter, when it is your soul and spirit that are at risk? Neroon sees, in your empathic reflection, an image of himself. Of course he loves that, and you. Any of us would love ourselves. But you aren't a fighter in your heart and soul, daughter. He will destroy you with his love. He is a killer, and you are a healer. The two can never be reconciled, because they are the opposites of each other."

"You have given me much to think about, Relinn, and not necessarily good thoughts, either. I don't know whether to thank you or curse you."

"I do not want you hurt, Terra, and I want your restless spirit to be at peace. Is that so wrong to want for the person who carries Sador's soul?"

"No. Of course not." She leaned over and hugged him. "You are ever a peaceful balm for my spirit, Relinn, and always have been. I care for you deeply, do you know that?"

"Yes, I know that." Suddenly he looked thoughtful. "Terra, should I come along on the Ingata with you?"

"What? Why would you want to do that? Besides, I'm not sure I'm going myself. I've really done my part here, and the rest is Neroon's game. And there is no need to chaperone me, anyway. I have managed to avoid renewing our physical relationship so far." She smiled. "Barely."

"Relinn, …" She saw the determination and the love in the Satai's face, and couldn't go on with what she had been going to say. Instead she said, "You feel so strongly against a joining of Neroon and I, that you would propose to go along and try to stop it? You honor me greatly, my old friend. I don't deserve you."

"Yes, you do, Terra. It is Neroon that you don't deserve. To force yourself into a life of anger and annoyance, no one deserves that."

"He is not always angry, Relinn." She chided gently.

"He is Warrior Caste, Terra. They know no other way than the way of anger. We have made them that way, I am afraid."

He smiled and got up to leave. "I will leave you to your thoughts, young one, and to your choices."

 

Part 4: Who done it is found out.

Go to Tools of Darkness, Part 4