PART 2 - For the Love of the Shi Alyt
by Sunraven, Feb 1999

As the shuttle from the Earth vessel Arestitides approached the station, Terra stared at her new home in wonder. Oh, she had seen more beautiful vessels and architecture before, usually of Minbari origin, but it seemed somehow rather majestic in its earthy way. Rather like a blue majestic sausage. And the planet in the backdrop, that was beautiful too.

The entry into the docking bay was rather bumpy due to an inexperienced pilot, and for a minute Terra wished for Neroon's skillful piloting. Funny thought, that. She hadn't thought about him for a while, and now over the last few months she thought of him almost every day. She'd heard that Branmer and the Ingata were on a diplomatic tour to the Minbari colony worlds, and she'd assumed that Neroon would be with the Shi Alyt. Oh well, no use thinking of him, or Ledann, either. It only made her sadder, and she didn't need that right now.

Actually, a bit of excitement was beginning to creep into her heart. Maybe Ledann's mother Sherissa had been right. A change of scenery from the site of Ledann's murder was what she needed.

Once the shuttle docked and the bay doors were closed, the air pressure rapidly went to normal. The extremely young blond lieutenant turned to her and said, "This is the end of the ride, Doctor. Sorry for the rough ride. It can get kinda tight going into these small sized docking bays."

I wonder if he even shaves yet, she thought irrevelently. "It wasn't bumpy at all. I was quite comfortable. Thank you. You be sure to have a safe trip back to the Arestitides, and please pass on my thanks to Captain Janner."

His pleasant face brightened at the complement. "I'll sure do that ma'am. Good luck on your new assignment."

He carried her bags down to the bay, then climbed back into the shuttle to get ready for the trip back to the ship. She followed him down the ramp, looking at the utilitarian surroundings of the docking bay.

Three men and, was it, yes! Satai Delenn were waiting for her. She left her luggage where it was and hurried over to them.

"Delenn! I didn't know you were here on the station! It is wonderful to see you again." She put her hand forward in the Minbari gesture of greeting for an old friend, and Delenn took her hand and placed it on her chest, and bowed.

"It is so good to see you, my old, dear friend. I am very glad you decided to come out of retirement for us here on Babylon 5." She let Terra's hand go and turned with her to face the three EarthForce officers that stood next to her.

"Terra, please let me introduce you to the Commander of Babylon 5."

The commander was tall with expressive brown eyes, and extremely good-looking. Terra sensed a very old soul in him, and a very serious personality. There was something dark in him, not evil-dark, but more confused-dark. He stepped forward and offered her his hand. "Dr. McClare, it is an honor to meet you. I am Commander Jeffrey Sinclair. This is my security Chief, Michael Garibaldi," he motioned to the man standing next to him.

The security Chief looked like all security Chiefs in the universe. They always looked like they smelled something unpleasant. She sensed a strong sense of humor underneath the security paranoia, though, and couldn't help saying, "I could tell you were the head of security as soon as I saw you, Chief Garibaldi. Your eyes were frisking me for hidden weapons as soon as I got off the shuttle. Over the entire galaxy, no matter what race they are, Security heads always frisk people for weapons, even if only in their imaginations." She smiled to show she was teasing, and he smiled a nice pug-doggish smile back at her.

"Well, I've determined that you're harmless, Doctor, so I won't be throwing you in the brig for the moment."

Commander Sinclair continued his introductions by saying, "This is Babylon 5's head of Med-Lab, Dr Steven Franklin. He wanted to be here to greet you with us."

Terra stared at the handsome dark face for a minute, her face puzzled. "You look familiar, Dr. Franklin. Have we met before?"

"Briefly, Doctor, during the war. We both were involved with xenobiological research then, and I believe we were both at the same facility for a short while. The Davison Brown Research Facility? I have read the research that you've produced out of Halanthe on the Bircati reproduction problems due to missing biochemical stimuli from their homeworld atmosphere, and was quite astounded by your findings that...."

Commander Sinclair interrupted the Doctor's speech. "Steven, the Doctor is probably tired after her long trip from Halanthe. She is going to be here with us for quite awhile, and there will be plenty of time for the two of you to discuss fascinating topics such as the reproductive stimuli of the Bircati at length. For now, though, we should show her to her quarters, then give her a tour of the station. If that is what you would like, Doctor?"

"Thank you, Commander. I would like to refresh myself." She then turned to Dr. Franklin. "And I would love to discuss the Bircati findings with you soon, Doctor. It was a project that was very close to my heart."

Then she was lead out onto Babylon 5.

* * * * * * *

Terra found that she felt comfortable very quickly on the station. She fell right back into mediation duties as though she had never been away, and found that she was enjoying herself tremendously. She still mourned her lost Ledann, but as she got busier and busier solving other people's problems, she noticed the she was able to remember the joys far more strongly than the pain.

She renewed her friendship with Delenn, who was not going by her title of Satai on the station, and spent many pleasurable hours with her gossiping and learning and laughing. Dr. Franklin showed himself to be very knowledgeable in xenobiochemistry, and she quickly got to be a close friend and collaborator with him.

With Commander Sinclair she found a deep, but rather peculiar friendship. He was so serious, she delighted in trying to get him to laugh. He rather reminded her of Neroon in some ways, though the Minbari had a much more responsive sense of humor. After Terra found out that Jeffrey had been on the Battle of the Line, she began to understand his seriousness, and without meaning to, started to help him heal with her empathy.

* * * * * * *

She was resting after a fairly grueling mediation session between the Narn Ambassador and the Centauri Ambassador. She had been feeling really down and grumpy for the last day or two, and needed to meditate to find out what the problem was, when her com light blinked.

"McClare."

"Terra, I am sorry to disturb you, but I thought you would want to know of some news I have received from the Ingata. The Shi Alyt is dead."

"What? Branmer? He was fine when he left for the tour, from what I heard. What happened? Did someone kill him? Are you going to war?" That explained those upset feelings. Her bond to Neroon had definitely dulled after 11 years, but she must be picking up his feelings of loss. That was the only thing it could be.

"No, Terra, nothing like that. Apparently he fell ill while traveling to Korun. It was some kind of wasting illness, it seems. He died of natural causes." Terra was sensing from Delenn a great sadness and sense of loss, and also a strong anger.

"I'll come to your quarters and you can tell me more details, all right?"

"Yes. Your presence would be welcome."

15 minutes later she was making tea in the Minbari Ambassador's quarters. "Here, drink this down. You will find it unlocks the heart a bit for grieving. Now tell me why you are so angry."

"It is his clan, the Star Riders, and his Alyt, Neroon. You remember him from the peace talks, don't you? The one you called a black-suited gorilla?" By Valen's headbone, she would never live that down, not in this lifetime, at least.

Of course I remember him, every blooming inch of him, unfortunately. "Yes. What has he done to annoy you so?"

"He has convinced the Star Riders to honor Branmer by exhibiting his body on every colony world we have. He is including Babylon 5 on his trip. That is not what Branmer wanted! He told me that when his time came to go to the Sea, he wanted to be cremated and have his ashes spread in space near Minbar." Delenn was livid with righteous anger.

"That doesn't sound like Neroon, to disobey the wishes of his Shi Alyt. But then, it has been a long time since I knew him. Perhaps he has changed."

"I do not want them to go through with this farce, but they have already started on the exhibition trip. I am not sure what to do. It is wrong to ignore Branmer's wishes!"

"I think it would be wise of you, of both of us, to withhold judgement until you talk to Neroon, to find out what he is doing. Branmer was well beloved by the Star Riders. This may be the only way they know how to grieve for him."

"Perhaps you are right."

"When is the Ingata due to arrive here?"

"In three Earth Standard days."

"Then you had better tell the Commander, so that he can make preparations. And you have your own rituals for grieving that you should perform as well, Delenn. Don't let your anger cloud or impurify your grief for your friend. My heart is crying at the thought that Branmer won't laugh at me anymore. I always seemed to be amusing him, somehow. Remember when his second aide at the peace talks, what was his name? Chakur, yes that was it. Remember when he got angry at me for being what he thought was rude to Branmer, and I had to knock him unconscious like I did to Neroon during my test. Branmer started scolding me for ..what did he call it? Oh yes, tormenting another aide."

"Yes, I remember now. You told him to tell his 'organic buildings' to stop trying to pick you up and shake you as though you were a doll, and you would quit knocking them unconscious. Yes," Delenn's face lit up in a smile as she remembered. "He laughed quite a bit at your response. I think he really enjoyed your term 'organic buildings' very much. It was actually flattering to them, if you stop and think about it."

"Well, the warrior caste do seem to run in only two sizes, Large and Extra-Large, even the females."

They were both smiling at the memories now, and tears were starting to fall as well.

"When Branmer was still a High Priest of the Religious Caste, before Dukhat was killed, he came to Dukhat's quarters to have dinner. As Dukhat's aide, I was attending as well. I remember he had me blushing with embarrassment as he teased me, I don't even remember what it was about. Something about my being so serious for one so young and lovely."

"Now that sounds like something he would have said."

"Well the two of them, Dukhat and Branmer, spent the entire evening teasing me until I was so red in the face that I looked like a Frakir nobleman. Tears were coming down my eyes and I was laughing so hard I thought I would split. I think they were deliberately trying to see if they could shock me. Well I will tell you, they did succeed, many times. I have seldom had such a pleasant time."

"Do you remember when he showed up at Ledann's and my wedding ritual? He was dressed incognito, as a simple priest, and no one had any idea that the Shi Alyt of the Warrior Caste had blessed the first marriage between a Minbari and a Human with his presence."

"Yes, that was quite an honor for you and Ledann. And quite a surprise to me. He took a large risk. If his clan or caste had found out he was there, there could have been some severe repercussions."

"You know what? I think he did it half because he wanted to honor me, and the other half just for the challenge of it. Those Star Riders don't seem genetically able to turn down either a fight or a challenge."

"He always did like you, from the first day he met you, I think." Delenn looked at Terra gratefully. "You have helped me overcome my anger and start remembering the good things about Branmer. Thank you."

"Thank you, Delenn. To share sorrow is the best way diminish it."

They talked and remembered for awhile afterwards, then Terra went back to her own quarters to cry a little for the kind Shi Alyt who had become her friend.

 

Part 3 - The Cortege