A Week in the Strife
by Sunraven, May 1999

This story is set during the time referred to in the episodes from the third season, "Severed Dreams" and "Ceremonies of Light and Dark." The League of Non-Aligned Worlds is in chaos, half of the members are at the throats of the other half, and all of them are afraid of the Centauri. The EarthForce ship Alexander, carrying now dead fugitive patriot General Hague, is on it's way to Babylon 5 with ships loyal to President Clark following the crippled cruiser like hounds on the scent. Please note that in my arc, some changes have been made to the content of the episodes.

There were times when being a mediator on Babylon 5 was more trouble than it was worth. This was one of them. Bigtime.

The Brakiri Ambassador, Tradak'lian was screaming at the Pak'Mar'Ra Ambassador Farzhedezhiadiazet (Terra thought of him as Fartsy), and seemed about ready to jump over the table and rip a nostril-talon off. Fartsy was sitting there like an odiferous buddha, burping and occasionally using his translator to make arrogant and worthless comments. The situation wasn't complicated, just a discussion of Pak'Mar'Ra incursions into traditional Brakiri markets of Quantium 40. But because of the current disruption in the League of Non-Aligned Worlds, resulting in the tension that comes to every sentient being when their homes and families are at risk, the two ambassadors were extremely short tempered.

Terra had had enough. She turned to the Brakiri and said in Interlingue, "Ambassador, you must calm down, or these talks will be stopped. I won't help you if you keep losing your temper. I know that the Pak'Mar'Ra is annoying, but you need to keep calm." She sent calming vibes at him. Fartsy didn't need calming down. The Pak'Mar'Ra were a breed that seemed physiologically incapable of an energetic emotion like anger.

The mediator turned to the Pak'Mar'Ra. To him, she said slowly so that the translator would pick it up, "I know your traders are just taking advantage of the increased jump gate production, Ambassador. But if I don't get an agreement that you will pull them out of the Brakiri markets, then I will just let the Brakiri declare war against your people. And please do not pretend to not understand what I am saying. Either we have your word that no more trader incursions into Brakiri markets will happen, or I will leave you to be destroyed by the Brakiri. You and I both know that your people are too few to ever survive a major war with the Brakiri. It is up to you."

He blurbled something at her that didn't translate well, but from the annoyed vibes he was giving off was probably the equivalent of "bitch!", then reluctantly agreed to pull the traders out of the disputed areas. Terra, sighing with relief, said "Good! Then done is done." She tied up the last few negotiating loose ends, then almost ran from the room in her relief to get away.

She got to her quarters just as the internal com vid was buzzing. She ran to answer it, and saw Steven Franklin's face.

"We have a Minbari patient here in medlab that I could use your help with, Terra. It's a Ranger, and Delenn says his report is pretty important. I'm going to have to operate on him stat, but since he has a subdural hematoma and a shredded lung from a ppg hit to the chest, it's going to be a two-man job." His request was natural enough as Terra often helped in treating Minbari patients on Babylon 5.

"I'm on my way."

She saw Delenn waiting anxiously in medlab. "Terra! I'm glad Stephen called you to help. This Ranger must not die! I need to hear the message he brings."

"He sounds like he's in pretty bad shape. Should we bring in a telepath, just in case he doesn't make it?"

"No. I have faith in you and Doctor Franklin."

Before long they wheeled their badly injured patient into the operating room, and Terra and Stephen battled for five hours to save the young Ranger's life and his lung. She literally rebuilt his shredded breathing apparatus using synthe-tissue and his own lung material, while Stephen worked to drain the hematoma and ease the pressure on the brain. By the time the operation was complete, Terra had used her gift to bolster his dying energy with her own twice. She was literally exhausted by the time she left the operating room.

Delenn just looked at them, the question in her eyes.

Stephen answered for them both. "He'll live. We almost lost him twice, but Terra used her empathic gift on him and he pulled through." He looked at his friend with a frown on his handsome face. "Not that I would recommend that as a normal therapeutic technique, Doctor."

"I'll be fine in a few hours, Stephen. It was necessary." She turned to Delenn. "He won't be conscious again for about three to four hours, Delenn."

She nodded, then bowed to both of them and said, "Thank you, both of you. Will you be all right, Terra?"

"Yes. I just need a little private rest is all. I should go to my quarters." She took two wobbly steps away from Stephen and got lightheaded. He grabbed her and said, "No way are you going to make it to your quarters. Come on. I'll put you in the quarantine room. It's empty. You can rest or meditate or whatever you do in there."

He dropped her off in the isolation room and she lay down and fell into a deep sleep to regenerate her shields and her lost energy. She was woken up by Delenn's entry later.

"Terra?"

The Human opened sea-colored eyes and looked into gray ones. Delenn smiled, her ascetic face lightening. "How are you?"

Terra sat up and answered. "I'm fine, just a little tired still. I don't give from my life energy, Delenn, just from my health energy. That's the energy that rejuvenates itself after resting. Has he woken up yet?"

"No. But Dr. Franklin said that it should be any time. I thought I would check on you before I went in to watch for his awakening."

Lennier walked in at that moment. "Delenn, Jahnlen is awake and asking for you."

All three of them went in to hear the Ranger's report. Delenn told Terra that Jahnlen had been traveling around the League of Non-Aligned Worlds for a while and had an important report to give.

The Ranger told of a madness that was causing war among the league worlds, and that many of the aggressors were aligning themselves with the Shadows in order to stave off Centauri aggression. But the madness of conquering was becoming its own reward. The dark ones were definitely on the move. When Delenn asked him whether the Gray Council had been told of this, Jahnlen, his voice shaking in shame, told them that the Gray Council had stated that the affairs of others were no concern of theirs.

At that, Delenn's face got still, and her jaw jutted out, reminding Terra of Neroon, of all people. The rage she held inside her small frame blistered Terra as the empath reached out to calm her friend. Delenn told Jahnlen to rest and get better, then left the room. She turned to Lennier. "Lennier, it is time I paid a visit to the Gray Council. Please stay here and watch things for me."

"Yes, Delenn."

The Minbari turned to Terra. "Terra, would you care to go with me? You know several of the Gray Council personally, and may have some influence over them." Both of them knew she referred to Neroon when she made that comment, because Relinn already believed in the great war to come.

Terra bowed to the leader of her caste. "I would be honored, Delenn. I hope I can help you open their eyes to the danger we are all in." Not to mention that her heart was already beating quicker at the thought of seeing Neroon again.

An hour later, they were on the White Star and on their way. Terra sat and looked out the view port, trying to understand the myriad of emotions inside of her. In the months since she had returned from the Ingata, she'd done nothing but brood over her break-up with Neroon. It was like a part her had been severed, and it didn't feel comfortable at all. Her damn heart literally ached inside her chest. Great Maker, but she missed him. She tried to turn her thoughts to what Delenn was going to do to the Gray Council, but whenever she did, Neroon's face, his citrusy smell, the light in his dark eyes, and his lovely rolling voice kept interfering. Damn! Go Away! She thought, desperately. Of course the images didn't go away. It was a very long trip.

Six hours later, they stood in front of the doorway that lead to the Council Chambers. A white robed keeper of the door barred their way.

"I told you, Delenn, they will not speak with you."

"Then they will listen to me."

He continued to stand in her way, not budging.

Delenn moved well within unacceptable body closeness to the man and said, "I served the council for sixteen cycles. I was the one chosen by Dukhat to replace him. I held him while he died. His blood is on my hands, his spirit in my eyes, his words on my lips. You will step aside, in his name and mine, or in Valen's name I will tear this ship apart until I find them. Move aside!"

He moved aside. Terra was surprised he had lasted as long as he did. The guy really had courage. She would have caved in to Delenn in seconds with the rage and power that her friend was giving off. Delenn swept by him, and Terra decided not to further annoy the Gray Council by trying to follow her in. She took a waiting position in the hall where the doorkeeper kept giving her dirty looks that said the silent equivalent of "Go ahead. Make my day."

While the doorkeeper stood at his post and glared at her, Terra sent her gift inside the room, sensing a very annoyed Delenn like a bright hot light. From Neroon she felt shame, anger, shock, and a grudging respect for Delenn. From the other three Warrior Caste, she felt pools of hatred, anger, and in one the beginning of the intent to attack Delenn then and there. From the others, her beloved Relinn included, she just felt shame. She focused her gift on the one who was gathering up his courage to attack Delenn, and waited to sense what he would do. Apparently Delenn had her say, then she left the chambers with five of the other Gray Council members following. The four Warrior Satais stayed inside the chamber giving off shock and extreme anger.

My God, she's really gone and broken the Gray Council, thought Terra with horror as she saw the members leave one by one. Delenn came over to speak with her, at the same time Terra reached out with her gift and tickled the nerves in Neroon's face inside the chambers to let him know she was there.

"You've actually broken the Gray Council?"

"It was necessary. I am returning to Babylon 5 at maximum speed, Terra. The Torkul is near here, and will be coming with me. Would you like to ride with me, or with Fleet Captain Lenann?"

Right then, Neroon came out of the chamber behind them. Terra felt his agitation at once, and fought for a second the conflict of wanting to see him yet being afraid of what would happen if she spent too much time alone with him. Yet he did need her now. It was a losing battle to start with, and she knew it. "Neither, I think, for the moment Delenn." She turned and glanced at Neroon. "I have a friend who needs me now, after what you have just done."

"But how will you get back?"

"Don't worry, I'll manage. Go, my friend. John and Babylon 5 need your ships for protection." And Delenn did just that.

Terra came up to Neroon and bowed. "Hello Neroon. Where are the others?"

"They are in there talking civil war talk and threatening the life of Delenn." He looked back at the Council door, then at her again. "Terra, If they find out you are here, they will tear you apart in their rage. Come with me." His concern for her was a bright red thread among the dark ones of concern, worry, and shame as he lead her into a deserted conference room out of sight of the Council Chamber door. Looking down at her, he said, "Staying here after Delenn left wasn't very bright of you. It isn't safe for you here right now."

She smiled, reaching up to stroke his face. "And you would just stand there and let them attack me?"

He took her hand in his callused one and brought it away from his face, annoyed. "How can you even ask that? Of course I would defend you with my denn-bok and my life! But they are some of our greatest warriors, and even I would be hard pressed to keep the three of them from your throat! Why didn't you stay with Delenn, or go to the Torkul with Lenann?"

She frowned back at him. "And how can you even ask that?" She asked, sounding oddly like a Star Rider at that moment. "You've just had your entire world torn upside down, and I will not leave you to suffer it alone! Despite the decision we made about marriage on the Ingata, you know how I feel about you, you black-suited gorilla."

He stared down at her for a few seconds, inwardly debating the time they might have before her presence was discovered by his colleagues. His eyes were on fire in his agitation over the breaking of the Council and other emotions. Suddenly he grabbed her, picked her up, and kissed her to within an inch of her life, then just as abruptly put her back on her feet. "Thank you for staying. Your being here has helped somehow, though I have no idea why, since you are still a constant annoyance to me. Terra, I do need to get you out of here before the rest of my caste finds you. I don't trust their tempers at the moment." But he was smiling down at her now, just a little bit less stressed out than before.

She put her hands on his arms. "Then give me a ride back to Babylon 5. Leave the robes behind, Neroon, and come and see up close what we are fighting for. Only then can you truly understand the price we have paid for the Council's refusal to see the truth."

"I do wish to understand, Terra. In my heart I wanted to go with the others when they left with Her. I have tried to tell those in there of the danger to our people, of what we saw on Korun, but they hate too much to listen. It has gotten so that these robes were more of a source of shame and a burden to me than a source of pride. I will gladly be rid of them! Let me change and get a few items from my quarters, then I will arrange a shuttle to take you home. I don't want you to remain here any longer than necessary." He reached down and touched her face lightly. "Do you think you can stay quietly in here and out of trouble for the time it takes me to go get my gear and arrange a shuttle? I know it is asking a great deal of you, after all, you are Religious Caste." There was a definite twinkle in the dark eyes now as he traced the shape of her lips with his finger. And he laughed when she bit his finger in response to his impertinent comment. Then he was gone.

Within a half an hour they were in the shuttle and away, headed for Babylon 5.

 

Part 2: The independence of Babylon 5.

Go To Part 2