PART 4 - Peace Talks
by Sunraven, Oct 23, 2000

"But I do not understand." Delenn asked Ambassador David Sheridan, her attractive face screwed up in her attempt to understand. "Why do your people object to having a central cultural and religious source?"

"Uh, well, Humans don't like..." He looked at Terra pleadingly, and she took up the topic.

"Satai Delenn, what you need to understand about my people is that we are notorious individualists on a whole. Even in groups we try to keep our belief systems and opinions intact. It is one of our greatest strengths as a people, and one of our greatest weaknesses as well. A central ruling body is necessary to govern and protect a community as large as the Human colonies and Earth. But a central cultural and religious body would mean finding one religion and one culture superior to all of the others. And that would be intolerable to us."

The Shai-Alyt spoke up then. "Yes, Doctor, my observations during the war confirm this." He glanced at the Major General, then continued. "Your warriors all wore different uniforms, and showed loyalty to only those with the same color uniforms on. They appeared mistrustful of anyone in different uniforms. It greatly hampered the efficiency of your large armadas."

Major General Bolter's pale Gaelic face reddened and he opened his mouth to attack the Shai-Alyt's comment, but Terra got in there first. "Now, Shai-Alyt, isn't that a little bit short-sighted to point that out in that way? In our Christian faith there is a saying, "Don't take out the sliver in your neighbor's eye until you deal with the plank in your own, first." Your warrior caste is very much wrapped up in their pride of belonging to a certain clan. Remember, it was you who had me read the clan Tay'loks of the different clans. There is quite a bit of schism brought about by pride of clan in the other Minbari castes as well. To tell you all the truth, my mediation experiences have led me to believe that this is the case with all races except those with group or hive consciousness, such as the Borg and the Shreeeee. It is both a source of strength and weakness in us all. And it also is what contributes to the wonder and the richness that exist where individual sapience is present." She smiled at him, cajoling him out of becoming offended at her words.

He nodded reluctantly, his twinkling blue eyes giving her the victory in this skirmish. "Yes, you are correct in that, Doctor. I of course meant no undue criticism to your soldiers, Major-General. I did indeed have to butt a few headbones together to get my intraclan crews to work together more efficiently."

"None taken, Shai-Alyt, none taken."

Whew, another blow-up avoided! Terra thought. She glanced up then and noticed Neroon's eyes on her. Was that admiration she saw there, and picked up with her gift? She didn't blush, thank the Great Maker, but she couldn't hold his gaze very long for some reason.

* * * * * * *


As she walked out from the session that evening, David Sheridan and Satai Relenn came up to her. They both seemed excited, which peaked her interest. What were these two up to?

"Terra, may we speak with you for a minute?"

"Of course, David."

Sheridan looked at Relenn, then said, "We have an idea that we want to run by you to see what you think."

Relenn continued, "Ambassador Sheridan has suggested that we take a break from the talks for a day to have a day of recreation. He thought we could play some games from each culture to further the bonding process. We can pull from the escort staff to get people for the games."

Surprised, she looked at the beaming human negotiator. "What kind of games?"

"What else? From the human side, I suggested baseball! It's perfect for this kind of situation, Terra. There isn't a call for strongarming tactics like in football or soccer, so we humans won't be at a physical disadvantage to the Minbari."

"Do you mean to have a team of humans against a team of Minbari?"

"No. Even better, we're talking about mixed teams. You know, putting humans and Minbari on the same team! Isn't it a great idea?"

She thought about it for a minute. "Actually, it is. Why don't you two run it by the other negotiators and see if they like it too. If they do, then we can set up the ground rules and iron out the details in tomorrow's session."

They left to do that, and she shook her head. Baseball! Who would have thought it?

* * * * * * *


"Baseball? But what is this human game?" Neroon had offered to accompany her on her evening walk, and she had been telling him about the negotiators' idea.

"It's a game with a hard ball about four inches in diameter and a three foot long stick, called a bat. The object of the game is to hit the ball with the stick when it is pitched at you so that you can run around four markers, called bases."

"Someone throws a three foot stick at you and then you throw the ball at them? It sounds ridiculous."

She had to laugh then. "No, Neroon, no one throws the bat at you. You hold the bat, and the pitcher throws the ball so that you can try to hit the ball with the bat. Others stand around the bases trying to catch your hit so that you will be called out."

"Oh. If they catch it you lose the game?"

"If they catch it before it bounces you lose your turn. Remember, it is a team sport. If a team gets all of their hits caught, and the other team doesn't, then the other team will win."

"It sounds like this game will require some skill on the part of the hitter."

"Yes, the batter will need to have excellent hand-eye coordination, must be a fast runner to go around the bases, and must be strong to hit hard enough so that the hit will elude the people on the other team who are trying to catch the ball and tag the batter out."

"You humans will be at a disadvantage in any game requiring strength and agility. I can see where this is a good game to counter that disadvantage somewhat."

"It is, plus the teams are going to be mixed, with both humans and Minbari."

He stopped then and turned to her. "Terra, is that a good idea, to mix the races? My warriors still have significant hostility towards your people."

"Don't you think that you can control them, Neroon?" She asked gently.

He bristled, all wounded pride and male ego suddenly. "Of course I can control them. But it seems as though we would be setting them up for a bad situation with a lot of temptation to do inappropriate damage to the enemy. Remember what happened to you on the ship, and you weren't even a warrior. This will be a team of warriors, of the enemy."

"Not enemies anymore, Neroon. Maybe not friends yet, but at least not enemies. If your warriors try anything, or ours do, then they will be called out of the game and disgraced in front of their peers and the other race. You will have to stress that fact to them. In fact, I was thinking of suggesting you and Colonel Lanscombe as the team leaders. I thought the two of you should be able to control your teams pretty well. You would be able to pick your team members if you are Captain as well. What do you think of that?"

"Then I pick you for my team." The dark eyes were smiling at her then.

She smiled back. "You'll have to get the first pick, which is usually chosen by a flip of a two-sided object. Otherwise Dick will grab me up first."

"Then I will pound him senseless, and take you back." He growled.

Great Maker! Is that all he thought about? Pounding people senseless? She sighed loudly, so that he would hear her. "Neroon, you will not do any such thing! If Dick wins the toss, then you will allow him his choice. Please control your violent impulses!"

He grinned then, and she could tell that he had been teasing her all along. "You don't have to worry, little human. I will behave honorably in that situation. If I grow angry, I can always remember that night in the garden." The grin dropped from his face then, and the memory of his hard body pressed against hers that night surfaced in both their thoughts. A surge of arousal pumped out from him, matching her own completely as though it came from one body. She could feel her heart hammering in her chest, and she turned and started to walk again to try to diffuse the moment.

After a few moments of silence, Terra blurted without thinking, "Neroon, do you find me attractive?"

He stopped, turning towards her. "What do you mean?"

"Uh, I mean, exactly what I asked, actually."

"Do I find you attractive? If you mean, do I think you are beautiful, the answer to that is yes. Even though you are not Minbari, you are like a shining beacon of brightness who lights up any room you walk into. I am a warrior born and bred, Terra, and as such my life is shadowed by the darker emotions which result from the planning and the taking of other's lives. For the first time in my existence the shadows have moved aside and the light has entered my soul. And it was you who brought it. I don't know why, or how you did it. I only know just that you did."

She smiled through a very red face. "But, even though you are a warrior who wears all that black, you're a creature of the light as well, Neroon. The honor and goodness in you shines like its own beacon to me. I'm surprised that you didn't know that, or see that in yourself. I did nothing except point that out to you, I think."

Quietly he reached over and stroked her hair, then her cheek. "No, you've done much more than that, I fear." Then it was he who started to walk again.

* * * * * * *


Six days later Colonel Lanscombe and Neroon stood up and started to pick their baseball teams. Ambassador Sheridan and a much coached Satai Relinn would act as umpires for the game.

The coin tossed in the air, and David Sheridan said, "Choose heads or tails off the coin, gentlemen."

Lanscombe said quickly, "Heads!"

Neroon glared at him, then said, "Tails, then."

The Centauri duckket landed with the off-side up. "Alyt Neroon, you have won the toss. You choose first."

Flashing a triumphant grin at a glowering Dick, Neroon turned to look at the people. He made a great show of checking everyone out, then said in his sexy baritone voice, "I choose Doctor McClare for my team." Another grin at Dick, then he turned it towards her. "I will expect you to play with all of your abilities, Doctor."

"Why, Alyt, I can't use them all. With my empathic gift, the other team wouldn't have a chance."

"Then use those that will give them a chance, Doctor. You have my permission to do so." His dark eyes twinkled at her, and she fought the grin that wanted to erupt in response.

The Colonel chose Satai Delenn, who had agreed to take part. The other Satai's and earth negotiators politely declined on the grounds of advanced age. But they would be watching the game closely, Terra knew.

Neroon had been instructed by the Shai-Alyt to choose as many humans as he did Minbari, and he did so. He ended up with Sub-Alyt Chakur, Sachs Terat and Sholache, and Sub-Sach Doroon from the Ingata to represent the Minbari. On the human side he chose Ensign Harisa Iomoto and Lieutenants Sam Besset, Tom Poore, and Ilse Swengen besides Terra.

Now the group of individuals had to become a team. With David Sheridan's help, Neroon started them working on various exercises. Terra could run pretty fast, but she wasn't very good at batting to start. Neroon, superb athlete that he was, took to batting like the wooden bat was an extension of his arm, of course. It wasn't long before he was helping her improve with surprising patience.

"No, Terra, hold the bat like this, up higher and behind your shoulders a little." He reached over and took her hand and moved the bat up, then came close behind her and moved the top of it behind her shoulder more. The feel of his hands touching her burned down her nerves, and it was all she could do to wrench her concentration back to the ball coming at her.

* * * * * * *


In the end, Terra was designated as the center fielder, Tom Poore was the pitcher, Neroon was catcher, and the others were strewn around the field in various positions. Because Neroon had had the first pick, Dick's team had first up.

Tom Poore, who was American by birth, was a very good pitcher. He struck out his first batter. Dick Lanscombe was second up, and Terra watched him strut up to the base. He was wearing shorts and a tee-shirt, and she had to admit that he did have a wonderful body. It was muscular, but not overly so, and dark hair ran down his arms and legs that looked soft enough to pet.

As the Colonel approached the plate, Neroon must have said something to him, because even Terra could see the human flush in anger. Then he cracked the ball as it came to him and it flew well out of range of the playing field. One run came in from that, but Tom Poore managed to hold the other team at that score until he struck two more people out and the inning was over.

Dick was the pitcher when Neroon's team was up at bat. Neroon came up first, and he scowled at the human who faced him. Dick wound up, then let fly right past the Minbari in his strike zone. The bat swung hard enough so that it whistled in the air. It was a complete miss. The Alyt scowled even more, and the second hit flew off his bat right at the Colonel!

Dick dove for the dirt, skinning his thighs as he did so. Then he jumped up and fought a battle with himself not to go over and beat the hell out of that stinking bonehead, who was now strutting around on second base. Instead he wound up his pitch, turned to see Neroon inching away from the base to try to steal it, and let the ball fly, right at the Neroon! The ball hit the Minbari on the headbone hard, and David Sheridan gave Neroon a base for the hit.

But that was it. Now it was war!



-- continued in part five --