PART 9 - The Delicate Balance of In-Between
by Jimmy, June 2, 2001

"Dr. Quietbrook, thank you for sharing your findings with us." Delenn said. "We know your decision to do so must have been unpopular with Earthforce and their representatives on Babylon 5."

"You might not like what I have to say." Beano replied honestly.

"We will take that risk since you took so much on Callimer's behalf. What have you found?" Delenn pointedly ignored Neroon as he took a seat by her side. She knew very well he did it just to aggravate her with his presence.

"First, three genetic markers in the room, all Minbari. One was Callimer, the other two are still unknown."

"Minbari?" Jerina echoed. "What are you saying?"

"At some point, there were three Minbari in that room."

"But that doesn't mean a Minbari was responsible for the murder." Delenn argued.

"Well, the problem is one of the samples came from under Callimer's nails. So, unless it's tradition for the Minbari to scratch each other as a form of greeting, I will go with the assumption that the material was picked up during the fight. The third was a blood sample taken from the floor and it isn't Callimer's." Beano hated lying to Delenn. It felt like she was fibbing on her priest, but it was necessary. No need to show the Minbari all her cards.

"That isn't all, is it?" Rathenn sighed his question.

"No, I have extraneous evidence supporting my theory that Callimer met with at least one Minbari in that room. Garibaldi is also chasing down other leads. From our last conversation he was having some success, so it won't be long before we have enough evidence to bring charges."

"But this is a Minbari affair," Jerina said, confused. "Once the evidence is gathered, it will be turned over to us, yes?"

"No," Rathenn spoke for Quietbrook. "Earth Alliance has superceded our interest. They believe there is a direct connection between Callimer's murder and the attempt on Dr. Quietbrook's life. Has Mr. Garibaldi made any headway with that investigation?"

"Yes, I believe he has." Beano said quietly. "All the tubes have limited access panels into the shafts. This allows them to be monitored by cams around the clock. His men are checking the vids right now."

"Callimer's Minbari!" Neroon argued heatedly, "You cannot possibly claim the attempt on your life could outweigh his death!"

"I'm not." Beano said. "But you have to remember, I do not belong to Earthforce. I am a civilian employed by an Earthforce employee. The chain of command you're familiar with is that of Earthforce. I do not fit into that category, and as such, Earth Alliance has taken a personal interest. Especially since I rank high in my caste if I may call it that."

"But Babylon 5 is a military outpost." Delenn said slowly.

"Yes, it is. But there's an exception to every rule, and I'm the exception for this scenario." Beano explained, "My case is what they call a precedent on Earth, and they're very keen in making sure their side gets to be heard while this whole mess plays itself out."

"Even at the expense of ours?" Delenn's question was asked without malice.

"Hopefully it won't come to that." Beano opened her bag, "And I've got just the thing to ensure it doesn't."

She took out a small container filled with glass slides and laid them out. "And all I need from you is a few seconds of your time."

"You're going to collect evidence ... from us?" Delenn asked, stunned.

"Have to." Beano said. "As soon as Earth Dome learns I did this, they're going to back off and tell me to do the same. They're ambitious, not stupid. When they hear that I trounced all over you in your own war cruiser, they're going to come howling at my door. And this way, after I prove none of you were involved in this mess, you guys are free to do whatever your choose, including filing protest with Earth Dome, Earthforce and G-d if need be."

The trap was so beautiful, so cleanly executed - none of the Minbari could rouse any sort of resentment. The human had purposely gathered them into one room and now they had no option but to do as she asked.

"Dr. Quietbrook, we Minbari have a genuine dislike of ..." Jerina said, trying to gauge the needs of Minbar against the practices of the Warrior Caste.

"I know all about it. Dr. Franklin told me. I won't scrape off anything from your body; I won't even draw blood. All I need is a few seconds of your time."

"What will you do?" Neroon asked.

"Well, give me your glove, Satai, and I'll show you."

Neroon handed over his glove without protest. She placed a glass slide on the table and then gently pulled the glove inside out.

"Dandruff gathers at the oddest places, like the inside of gloves or the collar of a shirt or a dress."

She lightly tapped the black glove against the slide and flakes of previously invisible skin fell off. She sandwiched the sample between slides and sealed it shut.

"Thank you." Beano handed the glove back to its owner.

Jerina turned over hers and Beano repeated the procedure.

"Do you want our shoes?" Rathenn asked for himself, Delenn and Lennier.

"Not necessary, just hold still."

Beano took out a Q-tip and walked around Rathenn until she was standing behind him. She folded down the collar of his robe and brushed the Q-tip against it. It too gathered particles which showed up on the glass slide. She collected Delenn's and Lennier's samples the same way.

"And that's it." Beano said after packing each set into different containers. "No invasive procedures, no direct contact with your persons. Just flakes of skin."

"I must take my baths more frequently." Neroon observed wryly.

"More like you should wash your gloves more often," Beano corrected. "But people rarely do, and when they do, they never turn them inside out."

"What will you do with the material?" Jerina asked.

"Just do a cursory examination, match and comparison, the usual stuff I have to do before making my case for dismissal, at least for you."

"How long will this take?" Rathenn asked.

"Three, four hours at most. I'll make contact the moment I find something."

"After that?"

"Mr. Garibaldi gets to run around the station more times than either of us would care to count."

"He will not appreciate the exercise," Delenn commented, her eyes filled with laughter. She admired Quietbrook for trapping Neroon, even though she was cornered alongside the warrior.

"Probably not." Beano said, "But he could stand to lose a few pounds."

"How is your leg? We feared it was broken." Rathenn commented, picking up on Delenn's signal to ease off from discussing the case. He suspected the humans, especially Sheridan, will become more cooperative once Quietbrook was returned safely to the station with the evidence she collected from them.

"Not broken, just needed some mending. My kneecap is synthetic, and it cracked. Dr. Franklin had to make some minor adjustments but it'll be fine."

"You never did tell me how you got your injuries." Neroon said.

"No, I didn't." Beano answered. It took Neroon a moment to realize that was all she was going to say. "I was wondering; could I get a tour of the ship?"

Rathenn was only too happy to oblige, but Neroon knew the only reason she asked was so she could meet with Lenann.

"I would have thought you would want to return to Babylon 5 to study the evidence you collected from us." Neroon confronted Quietbrook's request. "Or am I mistaken about your eagerness in resolving this affair?"

Beano gave him a sour look but agreed. "You're probably right. I should get back."

Jerina volunteered to escort her since she had the necessary forms to retrieve Callimer's body. She was also well aware her offer effectively blocked Neroon from returning with Quietbrook. The Sun Hunter wanted to make sure he would be cut off from any chance of collecting information from the human during the trip. And now, since Quietbrook had crucial evidence, it was imperative that she was safely delivered to her own kind on Babylon 5.

* * * * * * * *


Franklin waited in the docking bay with Zack and Garibaldi, both in full armor gear. Only when he saw Beano did he allow himself to relax. She waved at him, then bowed to her female escort. Jerina nodded elegantly before disappearing into another corridor.

"You have it?" Franklin asked eagerly.

"All of them. Worked like a dream." Beano answered, grinning from ear to ear.

"That was one huge risk you took." Garibaldi scolded without rancor.

"But it was worth it." Beano tightened her hold on her backpack. "Of course, they want to have updates on the findings as soon as I'm finished."

"How are we going to do this? They're still on the war cruiser and I don't know an easy way to get them out of there." Garibaldi said.

"I do." Beano shrugged, "I don't report anything and don't return any calls. Sooner or later they'll get frustrated enough and come back here to find out what the hell I'm up to."

"I'm betting Neroon's going to be the first to land." Franklin said. "Garibaldi, do you know where his people are?"

"Yeah, but I don't know how long that's going to last. Neroon gave my men the proverbial slip in less than a minute."

"You don't need to control them," Beano said thoughtfully. "The moment Neroon's in custody, Sheridan could officially charge him and things will start falling into place from that point on. His people won't be able to do much until Neroon's handed over to the Minbari government."

"If the genetic evidence matches." Franklin cautioned. "We still have a long road ahead."

* * * * * * * *


Jerina patiently waited until the scrambler worked into the com system. When the light turned gold she sent the prearranged signal to the waiting ship.

"Jerina," the voice was like a balm on her impatient soul.

"Father, the humans are poised to make an arrest."

"Are they? Have they revealed who they suspect?"

"It is as I guessed. They believe Satai Neroon is directly involved in the murder."

"Are you sure, daughter?"

"Yes. However, the moment they take him into custody, the Star Riders will interfere on Neroon's behalf. Of that I am also certain. You must get here before they do."

"Have no fear, we will arrive first. And the members of The Grey Council already involved?"

"They are undecided. Satai Hedronn sides with Satai Neroon, of course. But Satai Rathenn and Ambassador Delenn have not made their intentions readily known to myself. I suspect though the idea is abhorrent to them, they are willing to consider Neroon as a suspect."

"And the humans?"

"Are enraged. Whoever was responsible for Callimer's murder made the mistake of trying to eradicate one of the two humans spearheading the investigation. From what I can see, this act seems to violate a fundamental belief in their society. I don't think the Star Riders will find them an easy prey once they get here."

"Will they be ready to shed blood?"

"I believe the humans on Babylon 5 are ready to kill in order to finish this investigation."

"I would not have thought they would go so far to solve the murder of a Minbari."

"They are very territorial, father. Callimer's murder happened on their station. The attempted murder on the human doctor happened on their station. They are not going to readily forgive for these transgressions. And I also believe the human who was injured, the one they call Dr. Quietbrook, has a cult of personality on Babylon 5, especially among the command staff, particularly Captain Sheridan. I don't know what their history is, or if they even share any, but I know he's the angriest of them all for the attack on Dr. Quietbrook."

"Signal me the moment they make the arrest, Jerina. Callimer's death must not go unavenged. We swore a blood oath, daughter, and we must keep it."

"We will, father. On my honor."

Her eyes drifted to the Jump Gate floating in the deep, dark night. Somewhere in hyperspace, the Sun Hunters had gathered a massive force composed of all their fighters and cruisers. The fleet numbered well into the hundreds, and all she had to do was give one signal for them to bear down and obliterate those who murdered her beloved.

The Star Riders will come with war cruisers. They might even try to attack Babylon 5 in order to rescue Neroon, but they will be no match for my father's fleet. If they try, they will be destroyed. I will keep Neroon alive just long enough to see the annihilation of his clan come to pass. Then I will rend him limb from limb until he is no more.

* * * * * * * *


Lenann kicked the cushion across the room. He had long given up on meditation and was quickly resorting to abusing furniture to vent his frustration. He had learned of her departure and tried unsuccessfully to intercept Quietbrook before she returned to Babylon 5. The two priests outside his quarters prevented him from leaving and Lenann had to accept the fact that he was under forced seclusion until Satai Rathenn felt otherwise.

The door slid open and Lennier entered holding a small package.

"Captain Lenann, you might find these helpful." Lennier handed over a box of data crystals. "I used them to learn English, the human language of commerce. They also contain the most extensive collection of studies on various earth cultures. If you need further information, I will be happy to provide with whatever I can."

Lenann had completely forgotten he could not speak any human language. "Does she speak Minbari?"

Lennier shook his head. "Dr. Quietbrook has not been fully educated in our ways. She came on Babylon 5 less than ten earth days. She must find life on the space station quite exciting. Perhaps a little more so than her sanity requires."

"Thank you, Lennier." The grateful Minbari took the box, then noted with shame that he had no place to put it down since all the tables were either turned over or broken.

"And shall we straighten out your quarters? Satai Rathenn will not appreciate you taking apart his ship with your bare hands."

"No, I suppose not. Where is Satai Neroon?"

"Probably scowling at Ambassador Delenn. He does that quite often, sometimes for no reason whatsoever."

"He does have a temper, doesn't he?"

"He is Warrior Caste. That type of behavior is to be expected from them." Lennier said with slight disdain.

"Lennier, how is Recognition possible with a human?"

The aide was dreading the question, but was not surprised to hear it. Lenann was no fool.

"You must keep this secret, and the fact you shared Recognition with a human." Lennier took a deep breath, "During the Earth-Minbari war, The Grey Council discovered a terrible secret. Humans were being born with Minbari souls, and were dying in the war by the hundreds."

Lenann's brown eyes widened in shock, "With Minbari souls?"

"Yes, and you know our greatest law forbids us from killing each other. So many of them perished, Lenann. We will never know how many humans passed through the Veil with Minbari souls trapped in their bodies. That is why we surrendered on the very eve of our victory. That is why you saw a human but your soul recognized another Minbari."

"Will she accept me if we are ever allowed to see each other again?"

"I do not know. I do know she is not angry or frightened about the incident. However, she is extremely confused, and Neroon might be able to poison her against you using her confusion. He's claiming you did an unauthorized telepathic scan on her in order to learn her secrets. Humans have great distrust regarding telepaths. They are very private and individualistic race. Any intimate violation is regarded as a serious criminal act in their culture."

"They seem ... to react violently to the slightest intrusion."

"Not violent, no," Lennier shook his head emphatically. "But they are passionate and rather obsessive. And they prize their freedom, their ability to act and think independently above all, even peace and prosperity. Their wars are littered with justifications of freeing oppressed groups. Their greatest war, one that took place over three hundred years ago - over sixty million humans perished in a span of six earth years. That particular war occurred in order to free certain ... clans enslaved by a madman. The clans who declared war were in no direct danger, but because of the injustice they were forced to witness, they embarked upon a holy war. And they knew they would be made to pay a terrible price for their choice. Yet, they did it willingly and without hesitation."

"Sixty million?" Lenann whispered, "In one war?"

"Just one, and that was human against human, brother against brother in some stories I've read. Their history is filled with such examples, Captain Lenann. The Earth Alliance declared war on the Dilgars for the very same reasons. Yes, the humans are indeed a passionate race, but they do not react with the type of mindless violence the Warrior Caste would like you to believe."

"Are they easily deceived?"

"No, distrust is an integral part in their personality. But once they have accepted you into their lives, yes, they become vulnerable because they place great faith in those they trust. I would not worry about Satai Neroon's influence too much. He has antagonized Dr. Quietbrook to such a degree she turns gray every time she sees him. I think she will breathe a sigh of relief when he leaves Babylon 5."

"Do all humans have that ... thing on their heads?" Lenann asked, motioning his hand around the top of his skull.

"Yes, they call it 'hair.' And no, not all humans do. Mr. Garibaldi, Chief of Security, is quickly losing his, and is quite upset about it actually. It's a point of pride and a source of admiration for them. Dr. Quietbrook's was very ... bright few days prior, but it seems she changed the color to its natural tone."

"And her dress? Her outfit seems very mismatched."

Lennier smiled, "At first I believed just what you said. Then, as I watched her through this tragedy, it dawned on me why she dresses the way she does. Dr. Quietbrook is surrounded by death and violence the moment she goes to work. As tragic as that sounds, she has found her true calling and seems content to do what the universe requires of her. But that does not mean she cannot rebel against what has been placed in front of her day after day. Her clothing, the color of her hair, her unflappable sense of humor ... they show her rebellious attitude against death, against the tragedy of murder and other brutalities she confronts on a daily basis. I fear the moment Dr. Quietbrook dresses like the rest of Babylon 5 staff, her spirit will be broken. So, I much prefer her clothing to be as loud and as bizarre as possible."

Lenann admired the young Minbari. In spite of his youth, Lennier was very practiced in observing others and deciphering the personal reasons for their actions.

"Do you like her, Lennier?"

"I do not know her well enough to form that opinion. But I admire her. A great responsibility has been placed on her shoulders, and so far she has handled herself admirably, even at the cost of her own welfare. Like I said before, humans are passionate and obsessive people. Place a mystery in front of them, and they will be willing to spend the rest of their days trying to figure it out."

Lenann smiled thinly, "I wonder what she thinks of me. The moment she sees me, she gets a bloody nose and Neroon screaming down her face."

"I think Dr. Quietbrook sees you as a mystery, Captain Lenann." Lennier said with a twinkle in his eyes.

"If you see her, could you speak on my behalf?" Lenann pleaded. "If I cannot make my case, I wish for someone I trust to explain what really happened today."

"It would be an honor, Captain Lenann."

* * * * * * * *


"You did what?" Sheridan barked across his desk.

"I took samples from Ambassador Delenn and the others in the meeting."

"Do you have any idea how many protocols you violated?" Sheridan's voice grew louder. "Did they agree to this?"

"I didn't give them a choice." Beano said, shrugging carelessly.

Sheridan sat back on his chair, trying to imagine the scenario that occurred in the room. However, each time the scene ended with Quietbrook being torn apart by the Minbari for even suggesting they donate their blood.

"Delenn must have ... Rathenn ..."

"Were highly aggravated." Beano lied smoothly. "And you should've seen Neroon."

"Neroon was there?" Sheridan asked, stunned. "Did you get samples from him?"

"Most definitely. Cornered him first so the others would have to follow."

"And you did this on their war cruiser?"

"Yes, why, what's the problem?"

"The war cruiser is their jurisdiction exclusively, Dr. Quietbrook. Anything that's taken from their ship belongs to the Minbari, and that includes any genetic material you managed to wrangle from them. Where are these samples?"

"Being processed even as we speak."

"This really does complicate things." Sheridan admitted, and then a reluctant smile bloomed. "But I congratulate you on doing what everyone thought was impossible. You will notify me immediately when the tests are done?"

"Of course."

* * * * * * * *


"Hey, Beano," Franklin greeted his friend entering the lab. "So, Sheridan didn't shoot you on the spot?"

"No, he actually kind of liked the idea that I managed to get something out of Neroon."

"He would."

"How are the samples from the denn'bok turning out?"

"Looks like we'll be able to make a full match. How and where did you manage to get the evidence anyway? The whole thing was wiped clean with a base chemical."

"Then denn'bok collapses inward, so I checked the interior of the center tube. Whoever stole it wiped it clean only on the outside. It's like a case I had in Rome. The shooter cleaned the gun but forgot to wipe his prints off from the clip. Major piece of carelessness."

"You already have two messages, one from Rathenn and the other from Delenn."

"So the avalanche begins." Beano sighed.

"You sound like a Vorlon."

"Are they really on Babylon 5? Because I have yet to see one."

"And hell will freeze before you do. They do not show themselves to the general public. And if you see one, turn the other way and run. Kosh is his ... or its name, and it doesn't like to be disturbed."

"But how do I know it's a Vorlon if I don't know what it looks like to begin with?"

"Your gut instinct will start screaming, trust me."

The terminal chimed, signaling that it was finished with the task given.

"I'll be damned." Stephen said, as he examined the final analysis. "Look at that."

* * * * * * * *


"It has been six hours." Neroon said impatiently. "What is she waiting for?"

"The seventh?" Rathenn answered, earning a dour look from the warrior. "Perhaps the doctor has run into problems."

"Perhaps she just ran." Neroon shot back smoothly.

"Where? Babylon 5 is a space station."

"Try again."

Rathenn patiently contacted Med Lab, but instead of getting an automatic response system like before, Dr. Franklin's face came on screen.

"Dr. Franklin, good evening."

"What can I do for you?"

"We were expecting a call from Dr. Quietbrook for some time. Could you tell us where she is?"

"She said she was going to call you from her room. That was hours ago. She didn't contact you?"

"No," Rathenn became alarmed. "She did not."

"Why don't I call you back on this line. I'm going to check her quarters."

The screen went blank. Rathenn turned to speak to Neroon only to find the warrior had vanished. Rathenn called Delenn in her quarters as soon as he discovered Neroon had left for Babylon 5.

"Delenn, we have a problem. Quietbrook is missing."

* * * * * * * *


Neroon docked his flyer and quickly made his way into the waiting area. Because he was in such a hurry, he failed to notice the area was empty of even security personnel.

"Neroon," Sheridan's voice boomed from above him.

The Minbari's head snapped upwards to see security personnel surrounding him on the catwalk. They were dressed in full combat gear and their arms were all directed at him. Sheridan was in his usual uniform; next to him were Hedronn and the missing doctor, Quietbrook.

"You are under arrest for the murder of Callimer of The Sun Hunters. You are under arrest for the attempted murder of Ambassador Delenn and Rathenn of Minbar. You are under arrest for the attempted murder of Dr. Sabine Quietbrook of Earth Alliance."

Neroon could not turn his gaze away from his fellow member of The Grey Council. Hedronn's face was filled with sadness, with disappointment, and immeasurable disgust.

"I did not do this, Hedronn. You must believe me."

Neroon knew even as he pleaded, his words fell on deaf ears. Slowly, with undeniable agony, the warrior witnessed his world collapse from underneath him.

"Hedronn ..."

The Satai turned to Sheridan and gave a single, heavy nod. Then he disappeared from Neroon's sight.

-- continued in part ten --