CHAPTER 3 - Sleeping with the Enemy
by Allenna Sinclair

The Things We Run From

"All we have is our memories; take them and run."

"Hi Abby," Hailey said, as she laid a gentle hand on her arm. "Sorry I'm late. Damn lift was slow." She smiled brightly even though she knew the blind woman couldn't see it.

"Tut, tut. You know the lift near your quarters is slow. But I will forgive you for being late this one time." Abby's voice was light and she smiled. "You know if you moved into a better area you wouldn't have to worry about such things."

Hailey sighed and rolled her amber eyes. "Please Abby let's not start on that quite yet."

"I just worry about you, Hailey. You're too sweet and pretty a young lady to around the element that lives around there. And don't roll your eyes it's unbecoming." Abby told the young woman I front of her.

Hailey started to say something but paused as a waiter came by. "Hot choco and a bagel, please." She said. As soon as the waiter left Hailey sighed and looked at Abby. "Abby..you know I can afford to live anywhere else. I barely make enough to pay my bills as it is." She said quietly.

Abby shook her head. "Couldn't you ask that Uncle of yours..after ruining your life the least he could do is..."

"No!" Hailey said louder than she meant to. "I will not put myself back in that man's grip, not for anything. So far, he doesn't know where I am even. And I intend to keep it that way."

"I just don't understand it your Aunt was such a nice lady and she loved you so. So does your uncle. Hailey you can't just run from your family." Abby told her, worry etched in her face.

"Please Abby..I don't want to talk about this. I know I owe you a lot getting me this job but please." Hailey pleaded.

Abby reached out and found her hand. She patted it lightly. "Okay, dearheart, I'll let it go for now. But you know sooner or later they will find you."

Hailey looked down at her hand, tears coming to her eyes. "I know. I know." she whispered.

From across the open-air restaurant, a man watched Hailey with a small smile. He opened a small note pad and made some notes. ~This is gonna be easy money. Drag one little whelp back to her uncle and fiancee... ~