PART 4 - The Shadows, Three Jedi, Two Minbari Warrior Caste, and a Wormhole
by Sunraven, Oct 1999

POW! The denn'bok cracked against Obi-Wan's back ribs. He winced from the pain of it. He would definitely have bruises tomorrow. Thank the Force that the Shi-Alyt was skilled enough to gage the blows so they only bruised the ribs, instead of breaking them.

"That's right, boy, hold it up higher! Block my backward swing. Good!" The older male swung the denn'bok around in a backwards hook and almost took Obi-Wan's legs out from under him for the third time during the practice session. He reached back and down and knocked the Shi-Alyt's denn'bok out of the way, then swung his out in a move that his Master had shown him once, and almost tripped the Shi-Alyt.

"Very good, Padawan Obi-Wan. You have been trained well in the use of a battle pike. I believe you are ready to spar with one of my warriors."

Obi-Wan gave the learned Minbari a deep bow of respect. "From one as skilled as you are, Sir, that is a great compliment. You could have killed me at least five times during this."

Branmer smiled, his blue eyes showing his amusement. "Six times, but who's counting? I have been fighting with a denn'bok for over a hundred cycles now, young Obi-Wan. When you have been doing it that long, you will be even more skilled than I, I think. Now, would you show me a little bit about how to use that weapon of yours?"

By now the word had spread like Rigillian Lice over the Ingata. There was going to be a sparring match between the strangers and the Minbari! WooHoo! Already, though it was only training bouts, more and more of the crew were wandering in to view the action.

Qui-Gon and Neroon were going at it with almost full intensity. Neroon was quite satisfied that the Jedi could handle himself well in a denn'bok match.

Yoda, who had overheard the Shi-Alyt's request, spoke from the sidelines from where he watched his ex-apprentice carefully. "Qui-Gon, Alyt Neroon, time to move to the light saber, it is!"

Both men stopped as soon has he started speaking, they bowed to each other, then walked over to the Shi-Alyt and Obi-Wan.

Branmer said, "I have asked Padawan Obi-Wan to show me how to use the light saber. I know how to use several types of edged weapons, but this seems quite unique." He waved his hand at Obi-Wan's light saber.

Qui-Gon stepped over to him and bowed. "Here, Shi-Alyt Branmer. First we need to see if you can even use it." He handed him his light saber. "Press here and that will activate it." He turned to Master Yoda. "Do you really think you can power a light saber from a distance?"

"Done it before, I have not. Do it though, I should be able to." The small being turned towards Neroon and Branmer. "Very dangerous are these weapons. They are not blades. Cut through anything they will! Be very careful, you must. Proceed, Obi-Wan."

Obi-Wan was a little embarrassed to find himself the focus of many pairs of warriors' eyes, but he schooled himself to calm. He was very good at fighting with a light saber, hadn't his master said that in a few more years Obi-Wan would surpass Qui-Gon in skill? He looked at the Shi-Alyt. "Activate your light saber, sir."

Branmer pressed the button and Qui-Gon's light saber activated with a hiss of ionized air. Master Yoda stood at the edge of the mat with his eyes closed, channeling the Force into the instrument.

The Shi-Alyt's face looked like a kid's at Christmas. He swung the blade through the air a few times, feeling quite an exhilaration while doing so. The laser blade was a blinding white light. Normally Qui-Gon's laser was green, but because the power was coming from Master Yoda, the color matched the Dagoban's Force signature instead.

"Now, Shi-Alyt, come after me with it."

"But..."

Obi-Wan smiled. "Don't worry about hurting me, sir. I'm a Jedi. We see things before they happen. I'll know when you're coming."

So the older man swung the laser in an expert swordsman's move, and the Padawan was right there with his blue blade to meet it. Around it came again, and again, and true to his word, Obi-Wan was there effortlessly countering the blows.

Finally the Shi-Alyt said, "Enough! Neroon, why don't you try it next. Thank you, young Padawan, for instructing me so well. I couldn't have been in better hands."

The young man blushed and said, "I was honored to do it, sir."

Obi-Wan was going to hand Qui-Gon his light saber to instruct the Alyt, but his master said, "No, my Padawan. You go ahead. You are doing a fine job."

Neroon now held Qui-Gon's blade. He activated it eagerly, enjoying the rush of energy that moved through him to it.

The funny thing about it was that the laser color was yellow!

Master Yoda opened his eyes, surprise in his face. "Alyt Neroon, deactivate the blade!" He ordered.

Startled, Neroon did so, looking at the old master questioningly.

Qui-Gon turned to Yoda and said, "Master?"

"Activate the light saber again, Alyt."

Neroon did so, and a bright yellow laser blade came up. He deactivated it himself this time, surprise on his face. "You were not powering this, were you?"

"No. Came from you, did the power. You have the metachlorians of a Jedi!"

"Master Yoda, I've never seen a light saber blade of that color before." Said Qui-Gon.

"Different color it is, but very much the Force it is as well." The old being nodded. "Proceed, Obi-Wan. Consider the ramifications of this, I must."

"Alyt Neroon, come after me."

Neroon didn't have to be told twice. The tingle of energy moving through him made him feel buoyant and he made a lightning move for the Padawan. Obi-Wan met it, but not with the ease he was expecting to feel. He countered, and Neroon met him blade to blade. They went like that for a few minutes, then the Shi-Alyt called a halt to it. He wanted to see the two Jedi spar with the light sabers.

So Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon went at it with the full strength and skill of Jedis in their prime. The blades were blinding as they met and sparked off each other. It was difficult to see some of the movements, they were so fast. By the time the two Jedi had sparred for about fifteen minutes, they were surrounded by warriors from the various clans with identical rapturous expressions on their faces. Warrior Caste love a good fight, no matter what the weapon. And by the end of the match, every single one of the Minbari would have killed to have a working light saber of their own. The weapon was almost as elegant as a denn'bok.

Everyone took a break then and Branmer, Neroon, Yoda, Qui-Gon, and Obi-Wan shared a light dinner together in the Shi-Alyt's quarters.

Then it was time for the contests.

First up were Obi-Wan and Sub-Alyt Sorat on the denn'bok.

If Obi-Wan thought that he would be sore after Branmer was through with him, he knew that it would pale in comparison to how he would feel after his match with Sorat. She had him whirling and striking and whirling again and just connecting with her denn'bok until he was relying on the Force almost completely to counter the blows.

And she wasn't holding the force of her blows, either, which was a compliment to him, it its way. She was the better fighter with the pike, though, and in the end it showed. She had him on the run, and when the match was called, he was standing on the very edge of the mat. He bowed to her and complimented her on her ability, and she returned the compliment by saying he had stood up to her "fairly well for a Human".

Neroon and Qui-Gon's denn'bok match was different. Master Qui-Gon had a great deal more skill in both using all types of weapons and in using the Force to read actions. He gave the Alyt a run for his money. First Neroon held back from using all of his tremendous strength. But before long the Human was pressing him, and he had to use all of his skill to get the upper hand. He had had many more years of training on this particular weapon, and it showed. Back and forth they went in a mesmerizing martial dance, exchanging blows that cracked against the denn'boks, making them ring like bells from the impact. This went on for over a half an hour until Neroon's skill finally started making the difference. Whack, whack, whack, went the pikes, and Qui-Gon was forced towards the edge of the mat. Faster and faster went Neroon's denn'bok, and soon it was all the Jedi master could do to counter them. Finally the match had the same result as the first one.

Neroon bowed to the older Jedi, saying, "You did quite well considering that the denn'bok is not your weapon of choice, Master Qui-Gon. I look forward to crossing light sabers with you!"

Qui-Gon smiled and said back, his blue eyes alight, "I look forward to it as well, Alyt."

Branmer, who was sitting next to Yoda, made an announcement.

"Master Yoda has agreed to give us all a demonstration of the Force, which is the energy that gives the Jedi their power."

You could have heard a sensor drop in the silence. Everyone packed into the room listened respectfully as the diminutive teacher explained the Force to them.

"Surrounds us and is in us is the Force, and in every living thing. The basic energy of life at the cellular level, it is. It binds all living things together. Speaks to us, it does. In our dreams, in our feelings, and sometimes in our thoughts. Learns to control this, does a Jedi Knight. Through discipline, training, practice, and meditation. The longer the practice, the better the control."

"To use the Force, a Jedi must listen to it. They must quiet their thinking minds to do so." Yoda looked around at all the expectant faces. "Can do many things, can someone whose ally is the Force, that would be impossible otherwise. Obi-Wan, grab that grav-bar on the ceiling!"

Obi-Wan responded immediately to the command, and jumped the three story height to grab the extension on the ceiling. Then he dropped back down to the ground in front of the old master.

Yoda looked around at the surprised faces. "Much more can be done, by one who controls the Force. Influence weaker minds, when there is need. See things instants before they happen. And heavy objects pick up without much difficulty. Shi-Alyt, twenty of your men have stand together over there, please." He pointed one green hand to a corner of the room. Way was made, and twenty warriors moved over to where he pointed. Then they turned to face him again.

Yoda closed his eyes and raised his left hand in the air. A tension moved through the space as though the very air was thickening, then all twenty warriors were rising like they were on a pillow of air! They rose to about six feet, then all of them were moved across the room to be put down gently in front of the Shi-Alyt and Master Yoda. Then the Dagoban opened his eyes and sighed tiredly. He turned to the Shi-Alyt and said, "Understand now what I said about appearances and behaviors being deceiving?"

"Yes, I do. That was quite an example, my friend. I have learned an important lesson this day, I think." Branmer looked at the obviously fatigued Dagoban and said, "I am fatigued after my exercise earlier. I also think that we should have a small break before Neroon and Qui-Gon have the light saber match. Have some refreshments brought here! If any of you would like to ask Master Qui-Gon or Padawan Obi-Wan questions about the light sabers, now is the time."

That was all the warriors needed. They surrounded the two younger Jedi and listened as they explained the workings and the training involved with the light sabers. Unfortunately, because Master Yoda was resting while quietly chatting with the Shi-Alyt, none of them could activate the weapons. But most of them could at least see Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon demonstrate the lethality of the weapons by bringing in some scrap metal and such for them to cut through. All in all, both Minbari and Jedi enjoyed themselves immensely.

After about a half an hour, Neroon and Qui-Gon came to the mat for the light saber duel. They stood there facing each other, each the best of the best of their people. Their bodies looked relaxed, yet underneath the surface, the tension that comes before battle had gripped them both.

Then the ship shook suddenly.

ARRUUH! ARRUUH! ATTENTION ALL PERSONNEL! THIS IS NOT A DRILL. BATTLE STATIONS. ENEMY SIGHTED AND ATTACKING! ALL PERSONNEL REPORT TO BATTLE STATIONS!

Neroon and Qui-Gon both deactivated their light sabers at the same time, and without even thinking they headed out the door. Qui-Gon just automatically followed the Alyt and the Shi-Alyt. As he moved into the corridor he scooped up Master Yoda, who moved onto his back in piggy-back fashion. Obi-Wan followed the two Masters. Hey, Neroon still had his light saber!

So it was that all of them arrived on the bridge at the same time. No one, not even the Shi-Alyt, commented when they saw that the Jedi had accompanied them there. The two groups were now firm allies.

"Report, Mykha!" Branmer barked out.

"We have spotted two ships of unknown origins in hyperspace. They have fired on us, and we have responded. I have dispatched the fighters, who should be in position about now! They move so fast, sir! We barely saw them coming."

"Two more hits coming in, Shi-Alyt!" The ship rocked again, and damage reports started flowing in.

"Put them on visual." Branmer looked calm and unruffled as the strange ships grew on the holoscreen. They were a blackish green color that kept changing hues as you watched. They were shaped like spiders, with horrible pulsating legs which looked like they were crawling through space!

Yoda, his eyes narrowing, spoke up in the busy silence. "Very strong with the Dark side are these ships. Feel it along my nerves, I can! Destroy them, we must."

Branmer looked at the old Jedi, then looked back at the black ships. "The ancient enemy returns as prophesized by Valen," He muttered.

Neroon who was at the command post, turned to the Shi-Alyt and said, "The fighters are attacking at will, per my orders, sir. We are also firing with full gun support as well. Shall I dispatch the assault ships?"

"No. They will be too easy targets, and the fighters are busy with the enemy fighters. Keep firing, and move shield energy to reinforce the shields on the enemies' fire gradients." He then came and knelt on one knee in front of Yoda so that he could be eye to eye with him. "My friend, can your Jedi use your Force to help us? If this enemy is who I think it is, we are severely outgunned. My crew is the best of the Warrior Caste," All the crew members within hearing of him straightened their shoulders proudly. "But even they cannot beat two ships of an enemy such as this."

Yoda looked back at the ships on the holo. "Strange emissions, I feel from those ships. Living they are, and filled with the Dark side. Interfere with that, the Light side of the Force might be able to do. Help, I think the Jedi can, to stop one of them for a few minutes. Help you will that?"

The Shi-Alyt smiled a feral grin. "Help us, indeed that will, Master Yoda!"

Obi-Wan turned from the holo screen he'd been watching to Master Yoda. "Master Yoda, I think I just saw a weakness showing in the ship on the left. When that fighter hit it right at the apex of the body, there, in that one spot about three meters diameter." He pointed to the area, "The legs stopped moving for a few seconds. With the right power, we should be able to stop it from moving at all."

Neroon looked at the young Jedi thoughtfully. However, Chakur who detested Humans, sneered at Obi-Wan and said, "The chance of hitting a spot that small in the middle of a firefight are infinitesimal, Human, even with our much superior targeting computers."

"Chakur! Your opinion is not required at this time. Return your attention to your duties, and get this ship repaired as soon as possible."

"Yes, Alyt Neroon!"

Neroon turned to the young man. "Explain how a hit like that would be accomplished in your galaxy."

Obi-Wan looked uncertainly over at his master, who nodded. Then he turned back to the warrior and said, "Your Sub-Alyt was correct, Alyt. A targeting computer or a normal living being could not make the shot. But a Jedi can. At least, I can. I made a torpedo shot like it when we were protecting the Santerians from the Bashten pirates. Their control ship had only a small vulnerable area that could be hit through their shields. The crossfire was pretty heavy then, as well."

"How was the attack situated? Did you have cover fire?"

"Yes. Master Qui-Gon lead a group of pilots out and formed a wedge of protection. It was still pretty hairy, but I managed with the help of the Force to get the shot off and it worked then."

Neroon looked at the youngster, then at his master. Qui-Gon, anticipating the Alyt, said, "I'm going to be needed here to help Master Yoda stop the other ship. I can't lead a protection team. In any case, your warriors are more than competent to do that."

Neroon came to a decision just as the ship shook again from twin blasts from the two ships. "Shi-Alyt, I request permission to take Jedi Obi-Wan out in one of the assault ships. Sorat can lead the protective wedge."

"Neroon! To take an assault ship out in that before an area is secured? They are too big and slow to be effective."

"Not if we are protected until we can get close enough to skin dance that ship, sir. I'm the best skin dancer here, and if Sorat can get us close enough, I can skin dance to within firing range of the weak zone. Then Jedi Obi-Wan can make the shot."

Branmer didn't say what they all knew. That the risk was extremely high that the two of them might not come back. He nodded, then clasped his younger clansman's arm. "Go with Valen, Neroon! Sorat, you're relieved of your bridge position as of now. Take my personal fighter out and take control of the Razak wing. Bring them back safe!"

Sorat stood, pride in her stance. "Yes, Shi-Alyt. I will protect them with my life!"

Qui-Gon came to Obi-Wan as the three of them were leaving the bridge. "The Force will be with you, Obi-Wan, now and for always." He placed a hand on the young man's shoulder in affection, then nodded. Obi-Wan blushed, then followed Neroon and Sorat out the door.

 

Part 5: Let's kick some shadow butt!

Go to Part 5