For the Love of the Shi Alyt
by Sunraven, Feb 1999

Summary: This story is set during and immediately after "Legacies". There are some small changes to the B-5 script (more background scenes-behind-the-scenes type of changes), so if you are a purist regarding tampering with episodes as they really happened, then don't read this, it will just upset you. For those who wish to read it, you need to read "After The Blood Flowed Like Rivers" and "Midnight on the Negotiating Line" first, to get a feel of the history, and to quote a Vorlon, "The closed circle that goes back to the beginning".

EarthGov President Santiago looked at the holo of the woman who's personnel folder he held. He had heard a lot about Dr. Terra McClare. She had successfully defied the Psi Corps and refused to join them, had played a big part in bringing about the current trade contracts with the Minbari, had helped found Halanthe, the first Minbari-human scientific community that had now become multi-racial, and had been the first human to "go native" with the Minbari by being adopted into one of their Religious clans and by marrying a Minbari. Then the husband was killed by a group of Earth Firsters two years later, who were then all murdered by person or persons unknown. Quite an interesting life for someone who wasn't even forty years old.

"Mr. President? Dr. Terra McClare is here, as you requested."

"Thank you, Sammel. Send her in."

The President studied this paragon as she entered her office. She looked older than in the holo, and there was a look of deep sorrow in her sea-colored eyes that caught the executive's attention. She was still a quite beautiful woman, though. He stood up and moved around the desk to greet his guest.

"Dr. McClare. Thank you for putting aside your busy schedule on Halanthe and acceding to my request for a meeting."

"Since both you and I know that it wasn't a request, but a command, Mr. President, don't you think your thanks are just a bit spurious?"

"Perhaps, but they are also courteous, and I like to maintain the courtesies whenever possible, Dr. McClare. Please sit down." He motioned to the conference table.

"I would like to get to the point of this meeting as soon as possible, Mr. President, so that I can return to my "busy schedule on Halanthe", if you don't mind. If you are looking for a mediator, I rarely perform that function anymore, as I am sure you are aware."

"When you retired from mediating after the Minbari peace talks, Doctor, it was a serious loss to Earth. Your xenobiochemical research results have been extremely humanitarian, and have helped many alien races as well as humans. But to let an empathic gift like yours go stagnant by not mediating, it seems rather a crime to me."

"You sound like a Psi Corps propaganda vid, Mr. President." A small smile played across her lips.

"Yes, well..." President Santiago decided to be frank with his unhelpful guest. "You don't like me very much, do you Doctor?"

Blue-green eyes met brown ones. "I don't know you, Sir, so how could I dislike you? What I don't like is being summoned here, being told to drop everything to come, and not being told why. I am still an Earth citizen, though I now hold Minbari citizenship as well, so out of courtesy to you, I came, instead of doing what I was inclined to do."

"And what was that?"

"Ignoring your "request" and continuing with my work."

"Doctor, I need, no, Earth needs your help."

"Yes, I'm sure Earth does. At least, Earth has been trying to get me to come out of retirement for the last ten years by saying the same thing. And I will say the same to you that I have said to all the other requests. There are other competent mediators who still live on Earth. Get them. I am a xenobiochemist and a physician. I have chosen to leave mediation behind. Wasn't my saving Earth's butt over and over at those peace talks enough? I've paid my dues, Mr. President, I don't owe Earth anything else."

"Young lady, at least do me the courtesy to hear out my proposition before you huff out of here to return to Halanthe." Snapped the President.

Terra had to smile at the word young. After what had happened to Ledann, she would never be young again. "I'm listening, go ahead."

"Have you heard of our Babylon space station project?"

"Yes. You haven't had much luck with the Babylon stations, have you?"

"No, we haven't. But Humans are stubborn about things that they think are good ideas. Babylon 5 has recently gone on-line, and it is dedicated to try to promote peaceful relations between the races."

"I know that the Minbari helped significantly in covering the costs to build the station."

"Yes they did. And that is where we come to you. The Minbari have requested that you come to Babylon 5 as the official mediator. They have rejected our offers for other mediators to serve the station. They are comfortable with you, and they trust your impartiality."

"They may trust my impartiality, but I am sensing that you don't, Mr. President."

"You're very blunt, aren't you?"

Terra smiled a sad smile. "I've been told so before, yes."

"Well, then I will forget politics for a little while and will be blunt right back. When you married a Minbari, as far as I am concerned, you lost your impartiality."

"Don't you really mean that I lost my partiality towards Earth?"

"Yes. Earth was your home!"

"Yes it was. And I still love Earth as the place my body originated. But my soul and my heart are one with the Minbari. They would never have asked me to create biochemical weapons against other peoples, or to use my empathic gifts to hurt their enemies. That would be dishonorable to them. I feel more comfortable with their simple version of honor than with Earth's."

"Those things you speak of, those were during the war! We were desperate, and the Minbari were planning to destroy us."

"Yes, they were. But one thing I have learned from the Minbari is that life isn't worth keeping if it is not lived with honor, and by following your heart. Look, Mr. President," She leaned forward. "You don't want me to be mediator on Babylon 5, so why are we arguing? Why don't you just take my refusal and let me go?"

"Because you are wrong about me not wanting you, Doctor. Oh, I would like to see a mediator that is more pro-Earth, I admit that, but I also want to continue getting the Minbari's help on financing Babylon 5, and they don't want to do it if they can't have you there. There is one thing I know you won't do if you became mediator for Babylon 5. You won't betray Earth. Your impartiality is questionable, sure, but your integrity is not, and never has been. Earth is tired. We don't want any more wars for a while, Doctor. And you're the best alien mediator around. With you on the station, the chance for peace is increased. That's all I care about. Scan me, if you wish. I am telling the truth."

Terra smiled. "I'm not a telepath, Mr. President. I can sense that you're serious about what you say. There are other concerns, however. My empathic gift might not settle well into a space station environment. The quarters are very close, they may be too close for my comfort. Also, my xenobiochemical work..."

"Can be continued without interruption on the station. It is fully equipped with all modern equipment. We can draw up a contract where you can choose which mediation assignments to take and which not to take. We will pay for your personal quarters costs, will pay you the usual stipend, and will pay for you to set up laboratories and offices to your specification."

"All of that just to squeeze a few more credits out of the Minbari?"

"Not just that, Doctor. All of that for peace. I want it. Our world wants it. It is as simple as that."

"Let me think about your request. Do you have a draft contract written up?"

"Yes. If you would like, we can provide it to you."

"Yes, that would be necessary. I will look over the contract, and will give you my answer in the morning, if that is suitable, Mr. President."

"That would be fine. Thank you for considering our offer."

 

Part 2 - On to B-5!