PART 4 - After the Blood Flowed Like Rivers
by Sunraven, Jan 1999, revised Oct 2001

Terra stood in front of Sech-met Minur, an ancient Minbari crone dressed in the bluish-gray robes of the Minbari Guild of Telepaths. Her golden rank badges showed her to be the leader of the guild.Ý She was as wisened as a prune, and her headbone had yellowed with age.Ý Terra was small, even for a human, at 5 foot 3 inches tall, but she towered over the venerated elder.

Stark ice-blue eyes (gunfighter's eyes, Terra thought) stared at her unblinkingly, and Terra had to force herself to stare back in respectful silence.Ý The sense of a very powerful psi gift radiated from Minur.

"You are young for the duties proposed for you."Ý The raspy voice spoke in the gray language of the worker caste.

Responding haltingly in that language, she said, "Sech-met Minur, I sense that you are a very powerful telepath, probably one of the most powerful that I have ever been in contact with before."

The old one nodded her head regally, pleased with the compliment, but not showing it in her face.

"Then I do not need to explain to you that someone with gifts as strong as ours is never really young, even as a child.Ý The constant intrusion of emotions in my life has given me a very stark understanding of both the good and the evil that lies in every sentient being."

"Your records show that you are not telepathic.Ý I wish to scan you to ascertain the truth of this."Ý It was not a request.

"Respect, Sech-met, but if you read my records, you also read that I can not allow myself to be submitted to a deep scan.Ý If what you propose is to do a surface scan to test my small telepathic abilities, then you are welcome.Ý I will gladly submit.Ý But not to anything deeper."

A cold anger exuded from the telepath, who was obviously not accustomed to being denied anything she requested.Ý "I will do as deep a scan as I feel is necessary!"

The pit of her stomach burning, Terra answered, her voice respectful and full of regret.Ý "Then I will have to resign from my proposed assignment as mediator, Sech-met.Ý The agreement to the testing was that I would not be submitted to deep scans under any circumstances.Ý The Minbari negotiating team agreed provisionally to that limitation since it was not necessary to prove my lack of telepathic ability."

"I determine what is necessary.Ý No one else!"Ý Minur looked at the human.Ý "Why will you not allow the deep scan?"

Aqua eyes met glacier blue ones.Ý "Because of what I am.Ý If a deep scan was done on me, I would be unable to tell if certain äcompulsionsä had been put in place to allow someone to manipulate my empathy.Ý A deep scan would put my neutrality in question, whether or not any tampering had taken place.Ý Please understand, Sech-met, it is absolutely crucial for this mediator role that my neutrality or the integrity of my empathic gifts not be questioned."

"I will do as I wish!Ý No human child will dictate what must be done to perform an acceptable test."

The old lady then proceeded to force a scan on Terra.Ý The empath had to give her credit.Ý She was smooth about it.Ý But after having stood against the Psi Corps, who had no scruples with regard to what they felt was their property, she couldn't be taken by surprise.Ý She reached out to the sticky-feeling area of Minur's brain where the telepathic abilities originated in all huminoid beings.Ý Gently squeezing the cotton candy-feeling area with her mind, she felt the scan abort, and felt the surprise coming from the Sech-met as her telepathic abilities suddenly became mute.

"What have you done?"Ý She screamed, her panic a feel like warm blood on Terra's nerves.

"Nothing permanent, Sech-met.Ý I have just shut down the nerve centers in your brain that control your telepathic gifts.Ý If you will give me your word that you will not try that again, I will free them."

The old one nodded, respect showing in those fearsome eyes.Ý Immediately Terra let off the pressure, and Minur sighed in relief.

"Please sit with me, child.Ý I grow tired after that experience."Ý They moved to the cushions.Ý Terra took Minur's arm to help her across the room, receiving a nod of thanks for her courtesy.

"Now, tell me how you blocked me and shut down my gift.Ý Oh, and also, I did manage enough of a surface scan to tell that you have very limited telepathic abilities.Ý I will assure the negotiating team of that, also that you can defend your mental impartiality more than adequately, that no one has tampered with your mind, and that your integrity is unquestionable."Ý

Terra stared at her, stunned.Ý "That was your test for me?Ý You try to violate my privacy and force me into something that I can never allow under any circumstance, and it was all on purpose to make sure that no one could force me or coerce me?Ý Do you realize what I could have done to you if I had panicked?"

Minur looked away in shame, but only briefly.Ý "Yes.Ý It was necessary.Ý If you could not protect your empathic gifts from mental manipulation, or if you could not control your fear so that you did not damage me, then you would have been sent back to Earth.Ý If you had injured me, and you had every reason to do so, daughter, then my people could never trust you or allow you to know us well enough to mediate for us in the peace negotiations.Ý Now I can inform them that they need have no fear about working with you."

Terra noticed the change of address to informal elder to younger person.Ý "You are a hard people to understand, Mother, and you are the most powerful telepath I have ever experienced.Ý What is your psi rating?"

"I am a P-16."Ý She answered simply, without pride.

Terra was astonished.Ý "A stable P-16?Ý And you were born with this strength?"

Minur nodded.

"The Psi Corps on Earth would kill to get their hands on you, Mother.Ý The highest stable teep on Earth is only a P-14, and is a quadriplegic from the accident that triggered his gift ... "

The talk went on for about an hour, until Terra noticed that Minur was tiring more than was healthy.Ý She asked to call the old lady's aides, and took her leave, feeling wrung out down to the bones.

* * * * * * *

ÝWhen she arrived back at her quarters, her message light was blinking.Ý Playing back the message, Shai'Alyt Branmer had invited her to have dinner with him that night at 7:00 Earth Standard Time.Ý He left no room for a refusal, of course, and gave her directions to get back to his quarters.Ý She found herself looking longingly at the weird bed, just wanting to go to sleep and put this whole stressful day behind her.Ý Then she looked at her chron.Ý 5:30 EST.Ý She would have time to meditate to rest her spirit and mind, and shower, and ‚ Oh, no!Ý What did one wear in this situation?Ý Oh well, she would figure something out.

At 6:30 EST she looked at her reflection in the mirror.Ý She wore a bottle green silk evening dress which flowed around her like water.Ý Nestled in cleavage shown by a v-shaped dÈcolletage was her mother's emerald pendant.Ý Her changeable eyes glowed green to match her ensemble, and her hair was glowing like fire as it lay against the dress.Ý

Not bad.Ý This ought to make sure I can handle anything these crazy people throw against me tonight.Ý

Terra didn't trust the Minbari as far as she could throw them.Ý Shrugging, she headed out the door and followed the directions toward the Shai'Alyt's quarters.

After she turned the corridor from the lift she encountered two warriors, the same ones that were with Neroon earlier, guarding the path to their leader's quarters.

Respectfully in Minbari she said, "I have an appointment with the Shai'Alyt."Ý Terra expected them to stand aside and let her pass.Ý But it didn't happen.

One of them, with a neck like a tree trunk, answered back with a sneer, "The Shai'Alyt is having a private dinner.Ý No human would be invited.Ý Go away, female."

Trying to remain calm inside, she answered firmly, "If you will check with the Shai'Alyt, you will find that I have been invited."

Neither of them budged an inch, and both had very nasty smiles on their faces.

Well what in the hell do I do now?Ý I could go back to my quarters and contact the Shai'Alyt.Ý Hell no, no way am I going to run away from these two goons!

"If you do not wish to disturb your Shai'Alyt, then perhaps you would get Alyt Neroon to vouch for me."Ý Her voice was getting a bit shrewish by that time.

Tree-trunk neck snarled, "We will not disturb anyone for the likes of you, you -------."

She didn't understand the word he called her, but from the emotions coming off of him she could tell that it was not a complement.Ý That did it.Ý Her temper snapped.

"Listen, you idiots!Ý Move aside and let me by, or you will regret it."

That did it for them.Ý The two goons looked at each other in surprise and anger, then started towards her, grumbling menacingly.

She located their nerve points that controlled blood flow to the brain, and reached just enough that the two slammed to the floor with dual thuds, unconscious.Ý She then proceeded to walk daintily around them to the Shai'Alyt's door and hit the visitor chime.

The door opened, and Branmer and Neroon were standing in the doorway, anticipation on both their faces.

Dammit!Ý They were testing me again.Ý These people are unbelievable!Ý Well I'll fix them.

Her face mostly composed, she wished them a good evening, bowed the ritual greeting, then walked past them into the room.

"I noticed a bit of litter outside your quarters, Shai'Alyt.Ý You will probably want to see that it is attended to."

The matching gaping-jaw look of surprise on the two warriors' faces was priceless, and worth all the hassles she'd been through today.Ý She wished she had a vid recorder.

Branmer turned to Neroon and, laughing that beautiful laugh again, said, "I told you, Neroon.Ý You have lost the wager.Ý She did not go back to her quarters to contact me."

"Apparently I have lost, Shai'Alyt."Ý He turned to her, glaring, as though it was her fault that he had lost his stupid bet.Ý "What have you done to my men?"

"Nothing permanent, Alyt.Ý If you will look, you will see that they are now coming back to consciousness.Ý They are unharmed, and won't have any idea what happened to them."Ý She turned back to Branmer.Ý "Shai'Alyt, that was extremely rude!Ý What if I had not been able to protect myself from them?Ý I'm no warrior.Ý I am a physician."

Obviously genetically unable to resist getting a word in edgewise, Neroon piped up from where he was checking his men, "They were ordered not to hurt you.Ý Much."

Unbelievably, the Shai'Alyt actually seemed surprised at her lack of courtesy.Ý He answered her question as though she was acting like a hysterical religious caste who was imagining some slight or something.Ý "I had been informed that you could protect yourself from a mental attack.Ý I was fairly certain that you could also protect yourself from a physical one, but it had to be tested.Ý How was I being rude?"Ý Without letting her answer, he turned to the slightly groggy and chagrined guards and asked sternly, "Which one of you called Dr. McClare that name?"Ý

Tree trunk neck looked down at his boots and admitted, "It was I, Shai'Alyt.Ý I confess I got more involved in the moment than was proper."

Neroon said, "Apologize to the Doctor, Tenre.Ý Enthusiasm is good, but a lack of control is unacceptable.Ý You exceeded your orders."

Tenre did apologize to Terra, with a look on his face like he was eating nails all the while.

Once the guards were gone, Terra turned to the two men.Ý "I am very annoyed at this treatment, gentlemen.Ý You invited me to dinner, not giving me an option to say no, then you have this -- this charade as a greeting!"

Alyt Neroon moved in front of his Shai'Alyt and ordered loudly, "Do not speak to the Shai'Alyt in that fashion!Ý It is disrespectful."

"Is this another of your tests?"Ý She snarled, her face inches away from the Alyt's.Ý "Perhaps the Alyt would like a taste of what I did to his men in the hall?"

"You ... HUMAN!"Ý He snarled back.Ý She was annoyed to notice that his snarl was much more effective than her own.

"You asked for it, then, you black-suited gorilla!"Ý Oh God, did I really say that?Ý Oh well, I can get back to me research that much faster when they ship me off in disgrace back to Earth.Ý With my luck, they'll make me walk back.

With lightening quick reflexes Neroon grabbed her and lifted her so that she was dangling in the air, gripping so hard that she could feel the bruises instantly forming on her upper arms.Ý He didn't mean any real harm to her, she sensed, but was reacting the only way he could think of to deal with his frustration.Ý Still, his anger and passion frightened her a little, beating down at her like a sun ray.Ý He started shaking her, shouting at her all the while.Ý After her neck snapped painfully, she reached out and did to him what she had done to the guards, landing back on her feet and at the same time pushing his body away with revulsion as he collapsed.Ý Terra turned to go out of the door, not able to stop the tears of frustration that started down her face.Ý She had actually started wanting this damn mediator job, and her unacceptable loss of control was a jab that her ego did not want to deal with.

"Please do not leave, Doctor."Ý The Shai'Alyt's voice was very gentle, as though speaking to a frightened child, yet it did sooth her upset emotions a little.

She turned to him, wiping the tears from her face angrily with the back of her hand.

Then, he surprised her by bowing deeply to her, a move that was totally unacceptable for someone of his rank and standing.

"Why do you want me to stay, Shai'Alyt?Ý Do you have another test you want to try?Ý Maybe a whole roomfull of Minbari warriors jumping out at me and calling me filthy names, or something?"

"Do you think you could handle that many, Doctor?"Ý He asked curiously.

At her glare, he smiled, letting her know he was only teasing.Ý At least she hoped he was only teasing.Ý "I want to apologize for myärudeness.Ý We did have to test your ability to protect yourself, that is important to us and to you if some angry person from either side should try to assassinate you, but doing it in this fashion was a misjudgment on my part.Ý I hope that my aide or my warriors did not frighten you?"

His obviously contrite expression softened her anger to mere annoyance.Ý Alyt Neroon was coming awake, slightly groggy as the blood came back to his brain.Ý She looked down at him, crouching on the floor shaking his head, and answered, "A little bit, Shai'Alyt.Ý Alyt Neroon has a very intimidating snarl.Ý Normally I would not allow someone to put their hands on me like that, but I was a bit frightened, which caused me to hesitate.Ý Alyt Neroon, don't shake your head like that.Ý The effect will be much worse if you do."

He glared at her as he rose, but did stop shaking his head.

"Then will you accept my apologies, Doctor?Ý And I would still like to have dinner with you, if you consent."

Right!Ý After you sic your tree trunk-necked goons on me, your aide shouts at me, then picks me up like a doll and gives me a whiplash, and you want to sit down to a cozy farewell dinner?Ý No frigging way, bud!

"No disrespect intended, Shai'Alyt Branmer, but I am not in the mood for festivities at the moment.Ý Could we please postpone until another time?"Ý Like maybe when Sol goes nova.

"Of course.Ý Till tomorrow at the same time?"

They weren't going to send her away!Ý YES! "Yes, uh.. thank you."Ý

She turned to go, when the Shai'Alyt said, "The Alyt will escort you back to your quarters."

She stiffened.Ý "Thank you, but I managed to get here by myself, and I can find my way back alone."Ý The last thing she wanted was that... man... coming with her.

"Please, Doctor, it is proper protocol for you to have an escort.Ý If you will please wait out in the hall for a moment, I need to speak privately with my aide before he goes."

She nodded, and turned to leave.Ý "Good evening, Shai'Alyt Branmer."

Inside the room with the door closed, Branmer turned his weathered face to Neroon and said with a big smile on his face, "Isn't she magnificent, Neroon?Ý I can see now why the human warriors fought so hard against us for so long against such odds, if her and others like her were what they were protecting at home.

"That is easy for you to say, Shai'Alyt."Ý Neroon rubbed his shoulder where it had hit the deck hard.Ý "She didn't knock you unconscious without a single move to defend against."

"It is good for you to learn respect for our new mediator.Ý Oh, and Neroon, perhaps you should be more polite to her in the future."

"I think that I had better not be anything else, sir, or you may be forced to get a new aide."

Alyt Neroon came out the door with Branmer's musical laughter floating with him. ÝHe moved alongside of her and started down the corridor.Ý

"Doctor.."

She looked up at him, her green eyes darkened almost to black in her irritation.Ý He looked closer, puzzled.Ý Her eyes had looked blue this morning.

"I must apologize for losing my temper.Ý It was not acceptable behavior."

"Do you expect me to excuse or forget your behavior just because you apologize?"Ý

She then moved very close to him, for the second time tonight standing much closer than what was considered proper body space between two unmarried people of opposite sexes.Ý So close that he could smell her perfume, and her human sweat.Ý She smelled very different from a Minbari female, he thought irrelevantly.Ý Different, but not unpleasant.Ý But he did not feel titillated or excited.Ý Much.Ý His body itched to defend against this space violation.

"Never make the mistake of putting your hands on me in anger again, Alyt Neroon.Ý The results will be much more unpleasant than last time, and you would not like it at all."

Forcing his body to relax out of defense mode, but refusing to move back a single sintach from his current position, he responded wryly,Ý "I suppose I deserved that."Ý

He remained silent for the rest of the way back to her quarters.Ý As she turned towards her door he spoke again.Ý "Doctor, ... what is a gorilla?"

"I lost my temper when I called you that, Alyt.Ý It was inappropriate, and I apologize.Ý Good night."

He reached out very gently, no use in taking foolish chances, to touch her arm.Ý "But Doctor ... Terra, what is a gorilla?"

"Look it up, Neroon, it's an earth simian."

And she went into her quarters and fell asleep almost immediately, weird bed notwithstanding.

Ý



-- continued in part five: another meeting with Satai Delenn --