Front Lines, Part One by Raistlann all standard disclaimers apply. jms is god. May 29 It has always been so, I suppose. We are called on to serve and to die, without questioning. We are rarely thanked for our service. It is our place in the Great Scheme of Things, or so our clan elders say, to serve blindly. I do not know why, even now, after... everything. The greatest thing we can do is fight for Clan, Caste and Minbar. Or so they tell me. I do not agree, at least not totally. I serve, but only because it is all I know, all they would let me know. My name is Avann, and I am Alyt on the Minbari warcruser Shiven. I have served here for many years, through the insanity of the War that nearly wiped out the Earthers to the Shadow War we are in now. The Shiven is badly damaged from a suprise attack a day ago, crippling our weapons and killing many of the men and women that served on board. Among the casualties was our Shai Alyt. There is where we are most hurt. Shai Alyt Varak was one of the best strategists all of Minbar had to offer, and was a source of great pride and honor to her clan, the Third Fane of Chudomo. I respected her, honored her, and maybe even was in awe of her despite the fact that she was Religious and I of the Warrior caste. She was truly one of the best of us, and left a great hole for me to fill. I don't know if I can. My uncertainty does not show as I go about my duties, as stoic and cold as ever. On a warcruiser more than half populated by Religious acolytes, one learns to walk quietly and say what you will among your own Caste and Clan. There are three-hundred and sixty-one crew members on the Shiven, and two hundred or so are Religious. I do not know if they will accept me as Shai Alyt in Varak's place, but I will have to wait and find out. I really don't need a civil war breaking out on my ship, there has been too much death already. I pray to Valen that I will make the right choices. May 30 Today is what the Humans are calling Valen day, and what we call Valen'thal'cha. My crew will mostly be in prayer or celebration, depending on what Caste they are. I will be with a small group of Moon Shields during most of the day, staying blessedly far from the copious amounts of Religious caste about the ship. I don't understand why they insist on praying the entire day when they should be celebrating. I do not understand them, nor do I really want to. I was a bit suprised when one of the Moon Shields produced a large basket of fresh se n'kai for everyone to enjoy. As soon as word got out, the rest of the Moon Shields came, as well as everyone on board of my clan, the Night Walkers. When he somehow produced several *more* baskets of fruit, (we ate the first) a pair of Wind Swords showed up and joined us, bearing several interesting varieties of teas and juices. I have no idea where they came from (the Wind Swords and their teas) but they caused no trouble and lightened the mood of the room. I did not bother to question them. The festivities leaked out of the main hall and onto the other decks, disturbing many of the ones praying. A few of them joined us for a few hours of lighthearted dance and song, but this seems rather frowned upon by their clans. For the most part, they didn't bother to protest until a dozen or so sparring matches broke out on at least eight decks. Alyt Jaelyn took the time to go from deck to deck and stop them, or, more likely, watch until a victor was declared. But those of the Religious persuasion seemed to appreciate the effort. I later found out that all repairs on the Shiven were halted during the day, and not a few people were forced to sleep elsewhere when a coolant line grew stressed and blew out three rooms. Alyt Jaelyn managed to 'convince' a few of the rowdier people to return to their duties. I had helm set course for the nearest Minbari-held or neutral colony or space station and hope we don't get attacked before we get there.